Wheel Widening

2014GT

Established Member
Looking to have my rear wheels widened. Curious if the offset it able to be modified at the same time. Seems like material could be added to the back side of the wheel and machined down to spec for the offset. I know years ago when I checked into this it wasn't possible so I just ended up ordering an aftermarket set of wheels. I'd imagine someone has come up with a solution by now...

I'll do some more searching, but I'd like to see some widened factory wheels if anyone has gone this route.

grnenvy

Established Member
Go to the Weldcraft web site u can see all the wheels u want. They have done a couple sets for me over the years. They come back balanced out and true.
If u need more off set u can always run a Maximum Motorsport hub centric wheel spacer they sell them in diff sizes.
Have fun

2014GT

Established Member
I was just checking them out. We have a local machine shop that I've spoken to about adding material and machining a new hub instead of running a spacer. Basically just a "built-in" spacer I suppose.

2014GT

Established Member
I've had a set of staggered wheels built before, but offset wasn't a factor at all. Had a set of ZR1 wheels widened in the rear to 12.5" and the fronts narrowed to 4.5". Worked out awesome. But at the time they had no solution to offsets.

Vert

Established Member
Looking to have my rear wheels widened. Curious if the offset it able to be modified at the same time. Seems like material could be added to the back side of the wheel and machined down to spec for the offset. I know years ago when I checked into this it wasn't possible so I just ended up ordering an aftermarket set of wheels. I'd imagine someone has come up with a solution by now...

I'll do some more searching, but I'd like to see some widened factory wheels if anyone has gone this route.
It all depends where the wheel gets widened. If it gets widened on the back side of the hub, then the offset will increase. If you are looking to add an 1" then you will have to add 12.7 MM to your offset. What I have read, you can run an offset in the upper +50's without rubbing on the inner fenderwell.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
What?

It all depends where the wheel gets widened? Tell me how can u do it any other way???

It all depends where the wheel gets widened. If it gets widened on the back side of the hub, then the offset will increase. If you are looking to add an 1" then you will have to add 25.4MM to your offset. What I have read, you can run an offset in the upper +50's without rubbing on the inner fenderwell.

Vert

Established Member
It all depends where the wheel gets widened? Tell me how can u do it any other way???

You can widen front of the wheel, in front the hub or the backside of the wheel. Adding a spacer will lower his offset not giving him more.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
You can widen front of the wheel, in front the hub or the backside of the wheel. Adding a spacer will lower his offset not giving him more.

No way you can widen a late model wheel by the front due to the spokes being integrated into the front lip.

Adding a spacer wont change the the offset either, Just backspacing.

grnenvy

Established Member
yo

U can only add metal in front if the hub if the wheel allows for it but 90% of the wheels today won't allow for that.

QUOTE=Vert;13978098]You can widen front of the wheel, in front the hub or the backside of the wheel. Adding a spacer will lower his offset not giving him more.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread