Wheel\tire suggestions

mrsneakyz28

Established Member
So it's coming time for me to replace the tires on the boss. The Pirelli's are wearing abnormally up front (I bought the car at 8.5k) I believe the original owner tracked the car at least once.

I have been looking at Bridgestone Re11's since I had my GTO but ended up with the Boss before I ever got to try them out. I had my mechanic at the dealer say alot of the Boss guys were running a BFGoodrich tire and swore by them.

First and foremost, are you guys switching out your wheels in favour of a lighter setup, and if so are you running square or staggered?

Secondly, coming up on winter here, are there any decent performing all seasons worth running, or am I better off just keeping these Pirelli's until Spring and then switching to a summer\track tire? I do highway commute in this car at least 2 days a week.

Thanks!

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
all the proper track tires for this car are meant for a 18x10 wheel. this is the wheel size rquired for grand am and world challenge racing for the mustang. if tracking the car is in your future, start getting a those size wheels. ford racing sells a nice bbs one piece wheel for around $600 a piece.

mrsneakyz28

Established Member
all the proper track tires for this car are meant for a 18x10 wheel. this is the wheel size rquired for grand am and world challenge racing for the mustang. if tracking the car is in your future, start getting a those size wheels. ford racing sells a nice bbs one piece wheel for around $600 a piece.

I plan to do 1 or 2 track days per year, and maybe 3-4 drag strip days. This is an 18 x 10 all the way around? What is the max width tire that will fit up front without modifications?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
grand am and world challenge aswell as american iron mustangs all race a 275/35-18 square setup.

resist the idea of putting bigger tires on the rear.

Grant808

Established Member
grand am and world challenge aswell as american iron mustangs all race a 275/35-18 square setup.

I disagree. ALL of those cars are running with significantly different setups. Many Boss owners report moderate to severe oversteer when running square without the corresponding changes to make it work.

OP- run staggered if you aren't changing or 'upgrading' your suspension. Many of the guys who do change wheels are running 18s, and some stay staggered. I wouldn't bother changing wheels for one or two track days a year...unless you don't like the look or the 19's.

Tire selection and recommendations depend on your goals and the tire life you want. Do you want something better performing or longer lasting than the stock Pirellis?

Can you describe the tire wear on your current tires or post a pic?

5 DOT 0

Established Member

Isn't that the spec for the class and not necessarily the fastest setup? The street cars weigh several hundred pounds more too.

I have a staggered set of 18" Enkei PF01's sitting in my garage for next season but for the track only. I would not run 18's on the street with these cars other than to and from the track.

isrboss

Established Member
Race car = function 18" wheel, daily driver = function/form 19" wheel. These stangs seem to swallow big wheels easy and I can not stand the way 18" wheels look on them. I also don't like the way staggered setups look. I prefer a square setup myself. The statements are correct that suspension changes will need to be made with a square setup if driving the car around corners aggressively. I decided on 19x9.5" square with 285-35/19 RE-11's, and swapping the rear springs out with BMR's. This will only be temporary as I will be getting GC coil overs, but the softer lower rear the BMR rears give should help balance the oversteer that the square setup will most likely give.

Unfortunately I can't speak from experience yet on this setup, I have most of the pieces in the garage except my wheels are still being made.

Only doing that many track days I would not even think 18" as an option. I would stay 19" and do what ever you like best staggered or square.

Just my opinion, and I'm sure many will disagree.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I disagree. ALL of those cars are running with significantly different setups. Many Boss owners report moderate to severe oversteer when running square without the corresponding changes to make it work.

the grand am continental challenge boss 302r runs a 275/35-18 conti on the bbs one piece ford racing provided 18x10. the world challenge gts class boss 302s uses the same wheel package on a pirelli slick that has a slick sizing number but is generally the same size. american iron requires 18x9.5 and a 275/35-18 max.

where is that wrong?

boss 302 has removed the historic understeer of the front engine car. its described by professional drivers as neutral. going stagger brings back the understeer and with it the safety that comes with it. neutral is on the edge of loose which is generally accepted as a more volitile handling condition than tight/push/understeer.

Grant808

Established Member
the grand am continental challenge boss 302r runs a 275/35-18 conti on the bbs one piece ford racing provided 18x10. the world challenge gts class boss 302s uses the same wheel package on a pirelli slick that has a slick sizing number but is generally the same size. american iron requires 18x9.5 and a 275/35-18 max.

where is that wrong?

This is the main part I was disagreeing with:

Recommending $600/wheel for a car that will see 1-2 track days a year...disagree on so many levels. So that's $2400 in rims plus $1200 or more in rubber?

boss 302 has removed the historic understeer of the front engine car. its described by professional drivers as neutral. going stagger brings back the understeer and with it the safety that comes with it. neutral is on the edge of loose which is generally accepted as a more volitile handling condition than tight/push/understeer.

That's nice that you can quote pro drivers about driving their R's and S's. The reality is that bone stock, the base Boss balances with the staggered setup. LSs are set to a tad understeer stock.

You obviously know how a racecar works, but I don't think you know the Boss from experience.

mrsneakyz28

Established Member
Thanks everyone, this has been extremely informative. I think sticking with the stock setup makes the most sense, until I can get more time for track days.

Still trying to decide on a tire.. I really wanted to run RE-11's but they don't make the stock sizes in the front. I believe they have a 265/35/19 up front, assuming I stayed with the 285/35/19 in the rear (or went the next size up 305/30/19) how much do you think that would change the handling?

What about different fronts and rears...ex: stock sized Re-11's in the rear, and stock size Pirelli's up front. I know that works for drag, but since I am new to the road course scene I did not know if that was a bad idea.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
I got a set of Forgestar CF10s 19x9.5 up front and 19x10 in the back with Pilot Super Sports. 265/35 up front and 295/30 in the back. Stayed with 19s since will be driving the car to and from the events and need something for rain or shine. Something the super sports are suppose to be outstanding at. Only down fall to the pilots is the price. So far they feel good. But i haven't really tested them yet. 28th i got CMP again so ill find out.:banana::banana:

326805_575702335779918_109626523_o.jpg

665309_575702515779900_1502841132_o.jpg

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The 2012/2013 Boss 302's come stock with a staggered setup and are neutral with that setup. The stock suspension is designed to use a 1 to 1.5" stagger in tire width.

Grant808

Established Member
Thanks everyone, this has been extremely informative. I think sticking with the stock setup makes the most sense, until I can get more time for track days.

Still trying to decide on a tire.. I really wanted to run RE-11's but they don't make the stock sizes in the front. I believe they have a 265/35/19 up front, assuming I stayed with the 285/35/19 in the rear (or went the next size up 305/30/19) how much do you think that would change the handling?

I don't have experience with the RE-11s on Mustangs, but if I were to run them on our stock base rims (19x9F and 19x9.5R), I would go the the 265/35 and 285/35. You'd need at least a 10.5 wide rear to run the 305. I have the same tires as Smileyboy on one set of Forgestar F14s but on 19x9 and 19x10 rims. I've only run them on my GT so far, and they're pretty close to the stock P zeros in dry grip but hook better in the wet. I only have two track days on them, but I am sure I will get 50% to double the track mileage.

Lots of good tires out there, but many have issues with size availability for our stock rims.

What about different fronts and rears...ex: stock sized Re-11's in the rear, and stock size Pirelli's up front. I know that works for drag, but since I am new to the road course scene I did not know if that was a bad idea.

I wouldn't mix tires, unless you're really familiar with the effects on the street and road course. The main problems would be with the different limits of the tires as they heat up and let go on the road course and for the streets, the different wet performance could be dangerous. I've driven home from the dragstrip with slicks and skinnies in a light rain...not fun and not easy...more importantly, not safe.

mrsneakyz28

Established Member
I don't have experience with the RE-11s on Mustangs, but if I were to run them on our stock base rims (19x9F and 19x9.5R), I would go the the 265/35 and 285/35. You'd need at least a 10.5 wide rear to run the 305. I have the same tires as Smileyboy on one set of Forgestar F14s but on 19x9 and 19x10 rims. I've only run them on my GT so far, and they're pretty close to the stock P zeros in dry grip but hook better in the wet. I only have two track days on them, but I am sure I will get 50% to double the track mileage.

Lots of good tires out there, but many have issues with size availability for our stock rims.

I wouldn't mix tires, unless you're really familiar with the effects on the street and road course. The main problems would be with the different limits of the tires as they heat up and let go on the road course and for the streets, the different wet performance could be dangerous. I've driven home from the dragstrip with slicks and skinnies in a light rain...not fun and not easy...more importantly, not safe.

Good info. Would a 295 fit on the stock rear? I found the yokohama advan neo ad08 extreme performance tire in the sizes you guys are running, and it seems a pretty good buy at around $300 a piece. I was running a lower class yokohama on my 06 Gto with favorable results all around.

Between those and the RE11's with 265 up front. Decisions decisions.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
According to Tirerack, the rear will not work as they are recommended for 10' to 11'. The fronts would work.

Roadhouse

Established Member
If you're looking for a decent 18x10 track wheel you may want to check out SVE drifts. $600 for a set and 24 lbs a piece. I'll be running a square setup with these and 275/35s for track use.

kbroush

Established Member
Enkei also makes a light weight wheel in 18" that is popular with boss owners for track days. They are also light weight and strong.

mrsneakyz28

Established Member
Reviving this old thread...Definitely looking to swap out the stock wheels now as they have some curb rash from daily driving. I would prefer to go with stock sizes however everything I have seen in those sizes look ugly on an orange boss imo. Maybe there's some I don't know about. Price doesn't really matter.

That being said I would certainly switch to lighter weight 18" wheels, however again I don't want to change the suspension set up of the car. What modifications are you guys making when running 18's, if any. Love the way the boss drives and do not want to compromise that because I needed better looking wheels.

Thanks!

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
I'm in the same boat, in that I want to get another set of wheels and replace the noisy as hell OEM Pirellis. Also had some curb rash so it will be easier to get another set when the stock wheels get repaired before going into storage. But I don't have an unlimited budget, so I've been looking at Forgestar staggered setup, keeping the 19" size.

Since I'm up in NH, I will get a high performance all season tire that will last longer than the summer only Corsas. I'm not looking to drive this in the snow, but the summer only tires are dangerous below 40F. Will be looking to get tires that have a decent UTQG rating for daily driving, will eventually get a set of track only tires/wheels.

A lot of guys swear by the Michelin Pilot Sports, of which there are 4 variants ranging from an all season Sport with a 500 rating to the summer a Super Sport at 300. For my needs, I think the A/S will be my first choice, and should last way longer than the Pirellis, that look like they will only make it to 25k - 19k now.

LostPony

Established Member
I have 2 extra sets of wheels for my Boss, 19"x9" & 10", like the LS, and 18" x 10" square for track only. On the 19's I will be running 265 and 295 Michelin Pilot Sports, and on the 18's I will be using scrubbed Conti slicks size 285 square.

I think I am one of the few that like the look of the factory LS wheel, as long as they don't have the red highlights of the '12 car.

If you do go up to a 295/265 staggered set-up, do not go down in sidewall height as the tires are then too short. I bought my current wheels used and the owner did just that, so when I replace them I will use the same sidewall height as stock but 10mm wider all around.

Users who are viewing this thread