Wheel squeal/chirp!!!

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
I have a wheel squeal/ chirp that is driving me crazy . Let me try to explain it.
When the car is rolling at almost any speed there is a squeak , a rolling "squeak squeak sqeuak....." that can be heard. It sounds like its coming out of the rear, but I cant be 100%.
The one time it subsides a bit is when I brake. By rear pads are still good aswell as my disks.
Its driving me crazy and the one thing I can think of is maybee a barring back there?? I dont know - does any one have an experience like tis??????

WillyB93

Established Member
Have you check all your wheels? If do so and double check your inner pads on the brake caliper, the brake caliper may be froze if so it generally wears the inner out first then trashes the rotor.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
Normally just the hardware... Mine is doing the samething right now. Took wheels off and sprayed lubricant on the backsides of the pads and shims and it stopped for a few days so im gna take mine off and grease them

Last edited:

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
My '86 Mustang GT was doing the exact same thing for almost a year. It slowly got worse until it was down right embarrassing. Tried everything (so I thought). It was hard to tell exactly where the noise was coming from but for sure it was in the rear end area.

Come to find out the rear seal on the front of the differential was spinning in place and causing the it to squeal. Popped in a new seal and now the noise is gone.

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
So basically it could be anything ?? LOL , Looks like Im just going to have to check it all out ??

Vib_93

Established Member
Not to sound too obvious but have you tried jacking up car and spinning the rotor by hand? If its a rear wheel bearing you should be able to get vertical or horizontal play in the axle. If it is just a brake pad grabbing it is a good opportunity to look over the rotors and caliper to see if anything is out of sorts. The rear Varga calipers on the Cobra are a strange bird (to me anyways) you have to use the special tool (Harbor Freight sells them) to wind the piston in and out instead of just compressing it with a clamp like on most other rigs and the factory fronts!!!

TX93Cobra

Established Member
Blowncobra, did it stop squealing when u pressed the brakes? Bcmine and his go away

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
Not to sound too obvious but have you tried jacking up car and spinning the rotor by hand? If its a rear wheel bearing you should be able to get vertical or horizontal play in the axle. If it is just a brake pad grabbing it is a good opportunity to look over the rotors and caliper to see if anything is out of sorts. The rear Varga calipers on the Cobra are a strange bird (to me anyways) you have to use the special tool (Harbor Freight sells them) to wind the piston in and out instead of just compressing it with a clamp like on most other rigs and the factory fronts!!!

Yup, I spun the wheels by hand to see if any abnormality, also did it with the wheels off . . . . . didnt see anything out of the ordnary

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
I hate it when people make these types of threads and never give the results to what happend. With that said - UPDATE:

I enlisted my lady to help me with driving the car around and listen for exactly where the sound was coming out of - We concluded that the noise was in the right rear. So I took that tire off and started poking around. I noticed that the bolt for the bottom of the shock mount to the axel was loose. I tightend it, put the wheel back on - test drove it, and the noise went away :shrug:

I dont know why the loose bolt translated into making that noise?? But it did . . .weird

WillyB93

Established Member
Well good deal you got it figured out, I would say the bolt moved just enough under tension and made the squeal.

St8-E

Established Member
Kinda funny, I don't have so much of a squeel, but a clicking which is speed specific when I am on the brakes right at the end of a stop. It sounds as if it's from the pass. side rear...I ordered a brake rebuild kit from LMR which includes new clips and such and also got motorsport brake pads instead of the aftermarket ones there now...I will let you know if that works

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
Kinda funny, I don't have so much of a squeel, but a clicking which is speed specific when I am on the brakes right at the end of a stop. It sounds as if it's from the pass. side rear...I ordered a brake rebuild kit from LMR which includes new clips and such and also got motorsport brake pads instead of the aftermarket ones there now...I will let you know if that works

I had this happen on another car I had. Unfortunately , it ended up being a bent axle shaft. Best way to tell though is to put the car up on jackstands and very carfully put the car in 1st - watch the tires spin and look for a wable. In my case it was very noticable. . .
Hope this isnt your case.

delvin.a

Established Member
I had this happen on another car I had. Unfortunately , it ended up being a bent axle shaft. Best way to tell though is to put the car up on jackstands and very carfully put the car in 1st - watch the tires spin and look for a wable. In my case it was very noticable. . .
Hope this isnt your case.

I have some nice 40k axels for a '93 Cobra I'll sell ya dirty dirt cheap if you need a new one. I'd rather help someone out then look at em in the garage anymore. Cheers :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread