Wheel spacers

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
My '03 Cobra that I just got has 3/8" wheel spacers on the rear with some 17x10.5 replicas with 315/35/17 tires. In the air with the suspension unloaded it appears that there may be a rubbing issue if they are not used. Is this why the previous owner probably used the spacers or is it just for looks, to bring the rear tires out to the edge? I'm curious because as it sits, there are very few threads for the lug nuts to grab. I'm going to be swapping to some Saleen 18x10's with 295/35/18 and really don't want to use the spacers if I don't have to. Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I have heard of the spacers being used to stop rubbing on an IRS bolt, but I haven't experienced it myself. You should be fine running Saleens with that tire without the spacer but every car can be a little different so use caution. I ran that exact size in the rear without spacers and without problems. I had spacers for cosmetic reasons but removed them because I didn't like them on there.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I just went through this exact issue with my car. I recently purchased a set of AFS wheels with 18x10.5 in the rear. I also installed Toyo R888's in 315/30/18 on them and when the car was on the ground the tire literally rested on the IRS brace not just the bolt. Infact it almost looked like the bolt was actually inside the rim but when the wheel would drop that's why you would need clearance from the bolts.

My Solution: First I rolled the fenders on the outside because I knew I was going to need to move the tires out a little bit. Then I purchased a 3/8th spacer from LFP. These are the same ones that come with with their specified lug nuts as well. I also installed a set of MM low profile IRS bolts just to be on the safe side.

After These were installed and I verified I wasn't going to have any more clearance issues I was happy.... until I went to mount the new lug nuts onto the studs. They didn't seem to want to go on straight and the ones that went on, I didn't seem to get a ton of threads on them.

My next solution: I purchased a set of ARP extended rear studs. Part # 100-7703 and a set of ford racing open ended lug nuts and everything works and fits perfectly now.

I will try and get you some pictures tomorrow if you'd like. I can also look up that ford part number if you like. If memory serves me right its M-1023-G but I may be wrong.

As for your next issues I do believe running the Saleen wheels you wont need a spacer unless you want the look of the tires being flush with the rear fender. Also another issue is actually what tire you are going to run. My Toyo 315 is much larger then my Nitto 315 I use to run. But certainly going down to a 295 will be a big help.

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the quick responses! I guess I'll just have to see what the Saleens look like without the spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread