Wheel spacers on 500 rwhp plus cobras

y2kpony

Established Member
I was at the Ford nationals this weekend and saw some terminators with wheel spacers on. I just put 315/35/17s on my cobra and an interested in this. I found 3/8" spacers that are hubcentric on lfp.com. They come with extended lug nuts and should go on my stock wheel studs. I would like to know some of you guys thoughts on these. I have a ported eaton but will upgrade down the road to a whipple and would be pushing 600. Maybe more if I go bigger whipple and run e85.:) I would like to keep this setup with my drag radials. I don't launch or drag race the car but do rip on it every now and then. Do you guys think I will have issues with the studs breaking or the spacer cracking or even the lugs stripping? I have no experience with extended lugs and am unsure. Or any other issues besides what I mentioned. I put a post in the suspension section but haven't heard from anyone yet so I thought I would try here. Just looking for some advice before I make a purchase. Thanks guys.

Marc

Established Member
I had the same size tires and wheel combo (R888s) on my near 700HP cobra with no extended studs. I guess if you raced it all the time at the track it would be a good idea. Like you I just ripped around town in it with no issues.

y2kpony

Established Member
Glad to hear you had no issues. It's the look I want. I was just worried about running a spacer with the stock studs and drag radials. Thanks for the reply. More would be great guys.

Blown38

Established Member
If you are worried about thread engagement they make nuts like these. Just make sure the shank will fit the ID of your wheels stud hole.
gor-68077_w.jpg

Comp281

Established Member
I have this setup. For street driving it is fine. If you plan to do 1/4 mile runs and hard launch the car, get the extended wheel studs so you don't risk snapping the stock ones.

y2kpony

Established Member
Sounds like this setup won't be an issue for me with what I do with my car. I'm going to go ahead and go with it. In the future I will most likely just put in longer arp studs. Thanks for the input guys.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I've been running 1" hubcentric spacers for years with no issues. I've run them on my Whipple powered '03 on the track, dyno and street with no issues. Go with the 1" spacer so your outer wheel will be close to flush with fender flare (mine still isn't flush), this looks the best IMO.

y2kpony

Established Member
I've been running 1" hubcentric spacers for years with no issues. I've run them on my Whipple powered '03 on the track, dyno and street with no issues. Go with the 1" spacer so your outer wheel will be close to flush with fender flare (mine still isn't flush), this looks the best IMO.

I just put steeda sports on the car and I think 1" might be to much. I don't want to damage my fenders. But thanks for the input.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member

Same here. Whipple 2.3, 600hp, 10.5 reps with 315 555r and 1" hubcentric spacer and stock studs. 6 threads so and no issues at all.

y2kpony

Established Member
Same here. Whipple 2.3, 600hp, 10.5 reps with 315 555r and 1" hubcentric spacer and stock studs. 6 threads so and no issues at all.

Are you guys referring to the hubcentric 1" spacers with the integrated studs? Like what I saw h&r makes?

EATONU

gitsome
Established Member
I just had a set of 3/4" hub centric spacers made and went with 7703 arp wheels studs.
Ill post pics tomorrow of how everything works out.

black 10th vert

Established Member
First of all you won't break those 3/8" hubcentric spacers you mention because they are billet aluminum and very strong. I personally did not like or trust those hokey extended lug nuts though, so I went with longer ARP studs and cut them down to the correct length (2.5", I think, but it's been many years). The studs are not a big deal to change at all, but I did end up having to grind a flat on the head of each one to clear the raised area on the backside of the hubs so they would seat perfectly flat. Well worth doing the job once, and doing it right if you want to run spacers. I didn't need to run them once I switched to my TF wheels, but once I mocked them up, I really liked the look, so I rolled the wheel wells to be sure there would be no cut sidewalls. It's a perfect stance now inmo, and wouldn't change a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread