Wheel spacer stuck to hub! Help!

rust0r

Established Member
Edit: Solved! Torch for 10-15 minutes evenly around the spacer, hammered a stiff putty knife to separate and worked it around until it popped off.

Warning, it's non-SVT content

The car is a 2003 VW GTI, it's hub-centric with lug bolts (the wheel is centered using the hub that matts up with/through the middle of the wheel)

When I took off the summer wheels I noticed that the outer rim of the spacer had completely separated from the rest of the spacer, making it impossible to remount the wheel (properly) without removing the remaining part of the spacer.

The remaining part of the spacer is STUCK onto the hub. I've tried all the obvious solutions, chisel and hammer, screwdriver and hammer, WD-40, Liquid Wrench, more prying and hammering.

A more knowledgeable friend (and previous owner) suggested putting a torch to the spacer, apparently what has happened is "dissimilar metal corrosion" (which are sticking the spacer and wheel hub together) and making it like it's welded on.

I tried a propane torch yesterday for a few minutes but that didn't seem to do much, any idea how long I should be leaving it on there for? I'm assuming the goal is to heat the aluminum spacer up enough that it expands around the metal wheel hub and can be pulled off? Does anyone else have any ideas on how to get this thing off?

photopg.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures, it's well into freezing temps. Thanks guys and gals

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Propane is likely not hot enough to get the job done. Mapp gas may be better. Set it on there for a few minutes, but move it around so you don't just heat up one spot. AL doesn't change color when it gets hot so give 5-10 minutes. That said I never like to torch things that have seals etc. close by as you can easily mess those things up. Thats a job for a BFH if ever I saw one.

Air tools?

You could always score the spacer with something like a dremel, and then crack it open with a hammer/chisel as a last resort.

rust0r

Established Member
No access to air tools and my Dremel is a piece of crap, I really need to invest in a high quality one, seems like they are very handy for everything (the strong ones). Which ones do you have? Brands you might suggest?

I took the propane torch to it for 10 minutes managed to get a stiff putty knife behind it, after that some wiggling with the screw driver and it popped right off. Come summer time I plan on replacing the other 3 with the newer style spacer (they have a lip on the back, so they aren't flush against the hub, makes it easy to pry them off), and some anti-seize on the back of them I hear helps wonders.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, its been a very frustrating day and half out in the cold, I could have taken it to the shop I suppose, but there is no better feeling than when you see progress, hearing that spacer hit the concrete floor I let out a "F* YEAH!", I'm sure my neighbors thing I'm retarded, but that okay :beer:

rust0r

Established Member
Doh! Went to mount up the snows, having finally got the spacer off, lugs are too long since the spacer is gone, amazing!

Looks like the car is isn't going anywhere until monday when I get can get OEM bolts, new spacer won't be here till mid week at least

I swear, ff it can happen, it happens to me and this car

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
I have the $99 Dremel(not sure on model) but it has 8 speeds up to 36k rpm and they have cutoff wheels with shanks that work really well. I have had to cut through a lead pipe, a Fox tranny crossmember, and the radiator/swaybar support on an S197 with only two wheels(comes in packs of 5)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
doh! Went to mount up the snows, having finally got the spacer off, lugs are too long since the spacer is gone, amazing!

Looks like the car is isn't going anywhere until monday when i get can get oem bolts, new spacer won't be here till mid week at least

i swear, ff it can happen, it happens to me and this car

vw........

rust0r

Established Member
I have the $99 Dremel(not sure on model) but it has 8 speeds up to 36k rpm and they have cutoff wheels with shanks that work really well. I have had to cut through a lead pipe, a Fox tranny crossmember, and the radiator/swaybar support on an S197 with only two wheels(comes in packs of 5)

Hmm, those are what I'm talking about, the hardest thing I've used to cut through on mine has been some plastic covers under the car, and it kept snapping wheels, I will need to do some research on those, your model sounds badass

vw........

Tell me about it

put some antiseize on the back of the new one so this doesnt happen again.

Definitely, thank you for the suggestion, sping time the other 3 are coming off and new ones are going on with grease on the the backs. They make new ones that are beveled near the outer diameter of the ring, so you have something to pry up on

RE_spacer_250.jpg

+1

Wheel spacers are a b$%ch without antiseize

Understatement of the century, it seemed that the centers weren't even stuck, but the flat part of the spacer was stuck right to the hub, looking at the back down, the screwdriver down the back was taking chunks out of hte aluminum, it wasn't even separating anything until heat was applied, crazy to think how hard they bonded

Users who are viewing this thread