Wheel Question?

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Hey,

I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys...:read:

I'm not sure how many of you have knowledge of older trucks, but I have a '67 F100 that already has some custom work done. I have a huge interest in the stock L wheels (mainly the '99-'00 style). I miss my Lightning, so I was wanting to see how hard, if possible, it would be to get the L wheels on my '67?

I know the '67 has a 5 x 5 1/2 lug pattern and the Lightning has a 5 x 135mm lug pattern. I figured out that the difference is about 5/32 between the patterns. So I was wondering if anybody knows how hard it would be to grind out the lug holes on the L wheels to get them to fit?? Or if its even safe to think about this?? Are adapters an option?? ...I don't know how funny it'll look if adapters make them stick out.:shrug:

I really think it'll look good if I can get this done. And 18s will look alot better than the 15s on the truck now! If this will work, I really wish I kept my stock L wheels when I sold my truck, cuz now I have to search for 'em...

I know alot of you might say I should just buy some rims that will fit directly, but I just want to get some thoughts.

Any help or info is appreciated.:beer:
Thanks,
Frank

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
You can do a wheel spacer that is very thin and it would not be very noticable if at all. Do you have pics of the 67? I will be building a 67 as soon as I find a clean shortbed

BDAZSVT

Established Member
One of the replica companies make them in a 5 on 5 1/2 pattern. You might ask the gen 1 section at NLOC.

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
You can do a wheel spacer that is very thin and it would not be very noticable if at all. Do you have pics of the 67? I will be building a 67 as soon as I find a clean shortbed

Yeah, adapters sound like a better choice than drilling the holes bigger on the wheels. Do you know where the best place would possibly be to get them and not be too pricey?

Mine's a shortbed. I don't have any pics of the truck on my comp right now, but I'll see if I can get some loaded from my digital camera and posted soon.

Thanks for all the other input.
Frank

87vertgt

Da Bears!
Established Member
get a vibration adapter and you should be fine.....also double check to make sure you will clear the caliper and that the rim wont stick out the fender......so basically check your offset/backspace

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
get a vibration adapter and you should be fine.....also double check to make sure you will clear the caliper and that the rim wont stick out the fender......so basically check your offset/backspace

Not trying to sound stupid... but what's a "vibration adapter"??
Vert, the wheels in your sig pic look like the 20s I had on my red L.:coolman:

Does anybody know the best place to find thin adapters?? Will thin ones be weak?
I don't think I have to worry about much clearance issues cuz the truck still has the manual drum brakes (Flintstoning it!!:rockon:). I know the best choice would be to change the whole system to power disk brakes, but I don't really have that kind of money to fork out right now. The manual brakes aren't that bad after you get used to them. The previous owner put new brake shoes and lines on it.

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Here are some pics of my '67. I can take much better pics but these were the quickest ones I could find. I was at a local carshow last Fall.

Whoops!!! ....MY BAD. Let's see if it worked now...

Notice the gas filler relocation!...

Last edited:

87vertgt

Da Bears!
Established Member
ok...in regards to drilling the Lightning rims to make them fit I wouldnt do that as they are not gonna fit/sit right....

I know of a site that will make you 4 custom adapters for $150.00 shipped.

I wouldnt recommend offroading it thou....

let me find the site...

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
ok...in regards to drilling the Lightning rims to make them fit I wouldnt do that as they are not gonna fit/sit right....

I know of a site that will make you 4 custom adapters for $150.00 shipped.

I wouldnt recommend offroading it thou....

let me find the site...

Ok thanks.

Any more info would be appreciated.:beer:

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread