wheel paint question

reyberg

Established Member
Does anyone know if our wheels are a base coat/clear coat or if they are single stage? It seems like I remember seeing a post like this, but of course I can't find it now. Also, does anyone know the paint code for the wheels? I am asking because I want to clean/wax my wheels and don't want to use anything that could hurt them. Thanks_Ryan

buddha93

Established Member
Originally posted by PJM99
I believe they are powdercoated

I wish they were, but unfortunately they aren't.

What they actually use from the factory though, I'm not 100%. I'm guessing it's a base/clear. Up until that point they were clearing all the 10 holes and such, so I would think it would be the same. I'm sure sombody on the board can give a definite answer.

As far as cleaning them, just use a mild detergent and any good wax. Just use whatever you use on the car itself.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Treat them as you do any painted surface, and you will be just fine.

They have a similar process as the intakes - they are sprayed with an epoxy resin gelcoat kinda stuff that flows out nicely and fills all the imperfections in the aluminum casting.

Then they are sprayed with the silver paint. Don't know if they were base/clearcoat or a single stage, however.

PPG code (cross referrenced from the Ford code):

DBC33896...This is the silver 'base' paint. Regular clear coat goes over it. This code is for the PPG brand paint.

FYI, the paint has a ton of metallic in it, and is called "bright metallic argent" or something like that.

I had a pint mixed at the local PPG store. Matches perfectly. I use it for touch ups. I just got the base coat and didn't mess with the clearcoat. Wheels are faded a little so it looks just fine, plus the metallic makes it shine regardless...

reyberg

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Here is one last paint question. Does anyone know who the original supplier of paint was for FORD (in particular our cars)? I know it kind of anal but when I get some touch-up paint for her I want to try to stay with the same brand. Thanks_Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread