wheel hop

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
my 2013 boss has a little wheel hop. i thought this was fixed from the older mustangs but i guess not 100%. does reseting the shocks to a firmer number help this? or do i need to do new control arms and if so uppers, lowers, or both? discuss

AnthonyNoz

Established Member
I have a base gt 2012 and I just put in tca019 bmr LCA rears and I'm speechless
have no wheel hop (on a slight aggressive launch) and my rear noise is less when say I hit a bump. I would start with the LCA, I don't know if setting the shocks firmer will help since you much since youlll still have flex through the bushings of the oem LCA....I might be wrong

Last edited:

06mach1

Established Member
Just replacing the upper on mine cured the wheel hop. I installed the pro street UPR adjustable upper arm and mount.

Mike444

Established Member
At setting 1 on the rears my boss wheel hopped like crazy. On setting 2 it still hopped a bit. On setting 3 I have not had any hop yet, but well see.

Set it to 3 in the rear and try that.

Unrealford

Established Member
At setting 1 on the rears my boss wheel hopped like crazy. On setting 2 it still hopped a bit. On setting 3 I have not had any hop yet, but well see.

Set it to 3 in the rear and try that.

Yes, mines been at 3 since I bought it.Never changed it because I cant see the settings unless my wife crawls in there,,LOL

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
the hop is not near as bad as it was in my 09 gt500. it took a roush upper control arm to fix that problem. thanks for the sugestions im going to try the shock setting first. ill let everyone know how it works. thanks again

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I am on my second Boss (one was a 12 and now a 13) and they both wheelhop way more that the 13 Gt I had. Not sure why, I was thinking of trying the roush upper.....

NJSP117

Established Member
My gt500 wheel hopped way worse then my 13 boss. I've launched this car hard many times and have not gotten wheel hop at all. I believe my shocks are set to 3 all around.

kbroush

Established Member
I have my shocks all set at 5 and I still get wheel hop. The LCA's have pretty soft bushings in them. I'm betting that is the main culprit.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
I installed BMR lowering springs and it fixed all of the wheel hop on my 13. It did not take away ride quality or handling and they arent noisy

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
The keys to preventing wheel hop in an S197 are:

*Stabilizing the axle - One of, or all of; (LCA / UCA / Aftermarket Springs / Bushings etc.)

*Increased Traction - One of, or all of; (Drag Radials, Driving Style, Suspension/Relocation Brackets)

The BMR springs are an excellent choice for most people who have a Boss302.

08GOGT

Established Member
I just picked up a 2012 boss, traded off my 08 gt for it. I pulled my lcas and uca and mount off my 08. Anyone know if the mount is the same for those years? I haven't had a chance to make sure the control arms are the same but they look like it, but the upper control arm mount looks different. Does anyone know for sure?

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
I just picked up a 2012 boss, traded off my 08 gt for it. I pulled my lcas and uca and mount off my 08. Anyone know if the mount is the same for those years? I haven't had a chance to make sure the control arms are the same but they look like it, but the upper control arm mount looks different. Does anyone know for sure?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the '12 has different sized bolts in the UCA.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

You can reuse the LCA. But I the angle on the Uca is different so I'm not sure if will work of not. I've seen different part numbers on the Uca from 05-09 an 11-13

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
11+ Mustangs feature a different UCA and Mount....you will want to get with a manufacturer who makes specific pieces for them.

LCA are all the same (fitment)

NJSP117

Established Member
11+ Mustangs feature a different UCA and Mount....you will want to get with a manufacturer who makes specific pieces for them.

LCA are all the same (fitment)

But will an aftermarket set of LCAs really take away wheel hop without changing the UCA as well?

Users who are viewing this thread