Wheel Hop Science...

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Gentlemen: I have been following along here for about 1.5 years since I got my 2011. Mine is a convertible with a VMP Gen II and the usual mods (MGW Gen2, thermostat, etc.). I have never noticed straight line wheel hop. I am running Michelin pilot sport's (like many people here). My ride also has the 3.73 SVTP gears. Should I have noticed this? I cannot fully understand the physics of why this would happen or how new LCA's would fix the issue? What I DO NOTICE and hate is some kind of side-side "hop". Even at relatively light throttle, if I am turning, it tends to jump to the side. I assume that is the positive traction, but it does this even with very low power. It almost seems like something is wrong as it tends to "jump" to the side.

In a straight line, no issues I have ever noticed. If I hit it with the traction control off, it will light both tires up smoothly and not "hop".

What am I missing? Is the turning "jump" the same as wheel hop?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

OKBandit

Established Member
Wheel hop will be a hammering action. The wheels grabbing and literally leaving the ground, then repeat in rapid succession. You will know when this happens. The compliance in the stock bushings is what causes this undampened spring behavior.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
The jump you mentioned is the whole rear axle shifting from side to side, its an inherit problem with the live axle.
The way to fix it is to get either a panhard bar which comes with better bushings thus reducing the play, or a watts link which fix the diff to the centre and prevents it from shifting side to side while going over bumps.

99SSls1

Established Member
Go up on the tire pressure to make sure your mpss aren't the problem. Try 45 psi those tires can make you think something is up with your rearend. Do some searches, I had this problem and had to get rid of the mpss's.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Go up on the tire pressure to make sure your mpss aren't the problem. Try 45 psi those tires can make you think something is up with your rearend. Do some searches, I had this problem and had to get rid of the mpss's.

Interesting I was thinking about switching to those.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Roush upper control arm and pretty much any stiffer LCA cures wheel hop for most all GR500's. And will improve other handling dynamics as well.

1st usa car

Established Member
thanks for asking this question -- I was wondering the same thing -- I have a 2011 vert SVTP and have the same issue but with a lot less power than you. I have stock charger w/ 2.5 pulley -- ORH-pipe and 93 octane lund tune.
Look like I need to pick up a panhard bar

Users who are viewing this thread