Wheel hop not a problem today

DaveSVT03

Established Member
Wheel hop is gone, at least for the day.

I had my top down and decided to pop the clutch and much to my suprise, I layed two nice black streaks down the road. The black strips were about 100 feet long by the time I was done. Spun all the way through 1st and halfway through second.

But no wheel hop:burnout: I'm still in shock that I was able to burn rubber for that long without wheel hop. It was so much fun that I did it 3 or 4 times and left I nice big cloud of smoke to mark the area. Felt like I had a live axle. Unfortunately, I probably took 10K off the life of the tires, but I just couldn't believe how well it was laying down the horses.

Think the weight of the top helps when it's over the rear wheels (down)?

Well, I'm sure the hop will be back with a vengence - just thought I'd share.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by DaveSVT03
Wheel hop is gone, at least for the day.

I had my top down and decided to pop the clutch and much to my suprise, I layed two nice black streaks down the road. The black strips were about 100 feet long by the time I was done. Spun all the way through 1st and halfway through second.

But no wheel hop:burnout: I'm still in shock that I was able to burn rubber for that long without wheel hop. It was so much fun that I did it 3 or 4 times and left I nice big cloud of smoke to mark the area. Felt like I had a live axle. Unfortunately, I probably took 10K off the life of the tires, but I just couldn't believe how well it was laying down the horses.

Think the weight of the top helps when it's over the rear wheels (down)?

Well, I'm sure the hop will be back with a vengence - just thought I'd share.

Your are right on the money with the added weight over the rear wheels. I realized this when I gave 2 friends a ride and one sat in the back ... wheel hop gone!!!!
So I tried and still have it in there 2 bags of rock salt on each side toward the front of the trunk 160lbs total and no wheel hop!!!
I have tried and tried and tried, had fun testing to.
Now I don't know yet if this will be the same at a drag strip or if the added weight will slow me down much but for now it stays in there. Still running F1's
Btw I clobbered a black ws6 tonight. Dude said he had cam, heads, intake and exhaust mods. He was real nice about it too.

grnenvy

Established Member
Wheel hop gone with the top done , yes. But was it warm out I found out that my car never hops when it is at least 70degrees out. Temperature has alot to do with it. Thats why you don't have those florida guys complaining like us.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by grnenvy
Wheel hop gone with the top done , yes. But was it warm out I found out that my car never hops when it is at least 70degrees out. Temperature has alot to do with it. Thats why you don't have those florida guys complaining like us.

Warm weather is what cures mine too. Of course, when it's warm, the top is down. ;-)

Speaking of weather related problems...
--my throwout bearing squeals when it's warm outside and doesn't when it's cold.
--my clutch cable makes all kinds of squeaking and groaning noises when it's wet, but not when it's dry.
:shrug:

DaveSVT03

Established Member
If this top down theory holds up (hehe), I wonder if the local drap strip would let me run a few with the top down:D

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by DaveSVT03
If this top down theory holds up (hehe), I wonder if the local drap strip would let me run a few with the top down:D

Or you could just throw a body in the trunk that should work also. :lol:

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
That reminds me. I have some "dead" weight in my trunk. ifyouknowwhatImean:bash: I had to take care of a little problem today.

Users who are viewing this thread