Wheel hop is gone, thanks to QA-1 Shocks

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I installed QA-1 shocks on Friday. Man, what a difference. They have 12 settings, I put mine on #3. Did some hellacious burnouts in 1st and 2nd, from a stop and from a roll. I love these things. I have'nt installed the MM IRS bushings yet, maybe I won't. Going to Superstallions this weekend at Cecil County track to race, hopefully they help hookup. They were $ 299.00 for the pair delivered to my door step. When you mash on it, the weight transfers to the rear and the front end stays up. Hope this info. helps other "hoppers like myself" J.R.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting to see some feedback on these shocks. I'm currently in wheel hop hell with my setup (MM IRS, Steeda rear diff bushings).

Couple question for you...

1)Coupe or Vert

2)What kind of HP/TQ is your car making

3)What kind of tires (street, DR's, ET Streets)

Thanks!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
J.R. Yeah u got my attention :D

So no hop what so ever? It used to be hit & miss for me but know i can count on having wheel hop off the line on street tires. :bash:

By chance where did u buy them from for such a good deal?

Much appreciated :rockon:

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods

By chance where did u buy them from for such a good deal?

what pmoddy says. :) did they bolt up as is or did you have to add a spacer or some washers between the shock and lca?

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Anniv. Coupe, 475 HP, 482 Tq. F1's, This weeken 315/35/17 BFG Drag Radials. Ordered them from Downs Ford. They are in all the Mustanngs and FF magazines. Jegs has them for 139.00 each. When you order tell them you seen them in magazine for 145.00. The only catch is you have to put some spacers in between the shock and control arm. They do not tell you this in instructions. I called them and told them it did not look right and they said oh yeah by the way use spacers. I used some 1/2 inch stainless steel wahers, bought them at Lowes in a package of twenty for $6.73. Have fun

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
:beer: Thankya for the 411 :beer:

JR, last Question from me i think :D

Have u tried running hard off the line with the F1's?

I know with my BFG's i dont have wheel hop what so ever....Kuhoms & F1's i can guarentee i will.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Now I'm excited!

One question I forgot to ask... How is the ride quaility (on a 'soft' setting) compared to the stock Bilstiens? Can you tell a difference?

I was starting to think the only way I could put my power the the ground was with a solid rear...

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I sure have, 3 weeks ago I was at Englishtown on street tires, I had a 1.93 60 ft finished with a 12.08 at 118.50 mph. New mods for this weekend are the QA-1's, 4 lb lower pulley, taking Bassani high flow cats out and putting in modular off road pipes and a new hot tune to my Diablo Flip Chip by JLP.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
I thinkthe ride is nice, I had my 3 kids in car this weekend, all 3 together weigh 250 lbs total, It was a little spongy, but notbad at all in my mind. I did a slow roll burnout 300 feet, (length of my driveway) with absolutely no hop. I could never even think of this before, it sounded like a earthquake underneath.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Is #3 setting a hard/performance setting? Higher you set it, the softer?

Also, what do you have to do to change the setting?

I'm glad this worked. IRS bushings and QA-1 adjustables were the wheel-hop kill prescription in Fast Ford magazine months ago

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
I am glad the QA1 shocks are working for you so far,the true test will be when the temps get alot colder to see if they still helped.I had these same QA1 shocks along with the Steeda IRS bushings and between both of them they did not help to control my wheelhop in cold weather with cold roads for my car. I had my settings from 2(softest)to 12(stiffest)and did not matter car still hopped like crazy until the temperatures got warmer.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
So then are we looking at hardened half-shafts as our only real fix for self destructing cars, other than swapping in a solid rear axle?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I was told by an NHRA ex-racer guy who now runs a suspension shop in East Chicago that with IRS you will always have wheel hop if the correct conditions exist no matter what you do. You can take actions to lessen the chance of it happening, but given the right temperature of the roads, tires, tire pressure level, road incline/decline, surface type, ETC .... nothing 100% will cure wheel hop except for a live axle.

You have to consider the pros and cons of IRS vs. solid axle. It's under my impression that IRS is better for race-track/road course driving and solid axle for pure straight-line acceleration.

Mike

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
ChicagoMike.....well i would believe it if every one on this board has had the issue with wheel hop. Fact is that not every one does :shrug:

HighRoller.........im hoping that this is another situation where the cars being different will also play a roll with the shocks as well....but wont know that until down the line.

Bushings & CoilOvers have worked for some & for others they still have the Hop even when they dished out 3K+ for Coil Overs.

SmithAtlanta

Established Member
Man, I feel sorry for all you guys with wheel hop. I got to take Stangfan's car out for a drive this weekend and I couldn't do anything without wheel hop. I hope these shocks will work for you guys.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
The part number above is correct. I hope this works for you guys as well as it did for me. I won't find out about cold conditions, after this weekends racing, she's going nite-nite for the winter. Good luck and drive it like you stole it !!! J.R.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
You guy's might want to check with Herman from Horsepower by Herman, before you go out and by the QA-1 shocks. Herman and Rick from Amazon did quite a bit of testing on the QA-1 shocks, trying to eliminate wheel hop. They swear that the QA-1's will not fix it. As a matter of fact, I spoke with Herman the other day and he has a brand new pair of QA-1's sitting under his desk, that he will sell cheap! I don't think that Amazon is selling shocks anymore, but Herman stills sells the custom made shock for 299.00 a pair for the rear. Give him a call and he will answer a your questions!!!

Users who are viewing this thread