Wheel fell off while driving

BlackCobra96

Thread title says it all. Fortunately, I was only going 10 MPH and not on the highway, or even worse, at the track going 125 MPH. All five studs sheered off. The front disc was resting inside the rim rather than the front taking a nose dive into the asphalt. I had it towed to the dealership and they said I needed a new hub, and the other hub also needed replaced. Prior to this, I took it to a road course shortly after installing Nitto NT01 R-compound tires, which may have done it in. Anyone experience this?

2014-10-20 18.33.52.jpg

shurur

Established Member
On my 78 spitfire after I replaced the rear joints....I forgot to tighten down one of tires once I got it down..

I was too excited to get her on their road...
Same story..going slow..suddenly see my rear wheel go rolling by me..

My guess is someone didn't do that final snug on the wheel nuts.

Sometimes the nuts will stay put and the studs will slot the wheel holes..

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
What were the wheel nuts torqued to? Quite possible the studs had become stretched over time (over torqued) and decided to go. Good thing at low speeds. Hopefully much else wasnt damaged.

sn925

Established Member
My rear wheel fell off on the freeway my friend was driving behind me he said he seen lug nuts shooting out my rim and wheel was wobbly I thought I had a flat I pulled over studs broke it could of been worse

Users who are viewing this thread