Wheel cleaner messed up the paint on my rims. Help please!

97SVT#777

Established Member
I just bought the car and the wheels had been taken to a detail place where they put something on the rims that turned the paint from the first photo to the second. I'm wondering if any of you detail gurus know of something I can put on them to "turn" the color all the same instead of the streaks shown below. I'll try anything, but I just don't know what to try. If I have to repaint them later I will, but I figure something out there should work decent. First photo is the way they are supposed to look, second is how all of them look now. Thanks for your help!

Boss-Orig.jpg

Boss-Bad.jpg

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
He can't really demand anything. He bought the car like that. I had someone use something on my painted wheels before that streacked them and fogged them up bad. Mequiars cleaner wax took care of it. I would take the wheels off, wash them in a diluted simple green and the try a cleaner wax on them.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
He can't really demand anything. He bought the car like that. I had someone use something on my painted wheels before that streacked them and fogged them up bad. Mequiars cleaner wax took care of it. I would take the wheels off, wash them in a diluted simple green and the try a cleaner wax on them.

my interpretation is he bought the car and then took it to a detail place and they fuxored the wheels.

97SVT#777

Established Member
Sorry for the confusion. The wheels were already like that when I bought the car. I actually just purchased new chrome saleens and tires and this set is being sold, but I wanted to see if I could fix it somehow to bring a little more money out of them as I paid a little extra on the car to get these instead of the stockers.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Dawn Ultra and let it soak on there nicely for a little while. Rinse, check results.

Best case scenario it's actually just silicone based tire shine.

Worst case..yeah...they used an acid based wheel cleaner on a hot wheel and let it sit.

If Dawn doesn't work, try SimpleGreen (straight); spray it on a WET wheel, wash with cotton terry cloth washrag; rinse; check results.

If neither of those work you're kinda out of luck for the most part.

97SVT#777

Established Member
Well, I tried:

Palmolive Dish Detergent
Mean Green
Brake Cleaner
Tire Shine
Wax Cleaner
Engine Cleaner
Silicone Spray

Nothing would change the color of the original gray or the darker gray. I guess next up is a wheel acid to try and turn it all one color. Anybody know where I can buy some on a Saturday?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I wouldn't mess with it any further.

If you've already tried all that, something has already etched the surface.

Anything you do from here on out will probably just make it worse.

You'd be better off to repaint or powdercoat the centers.

97SVT#777

Established Member
You're probably right. I really just wanted to get these all one color to make a little more off of them before I sold them. Not spending the time to mess with them and letting the buyer pick their color of choice may work out better. Thanks for your help.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
You could always get some aircraft stripper, and completely strip them, then they can be prepped and painted or powdercoated any color.

97SVT#777

Established Member
I already have some aircraft stripper, but really don't want to spend the time stripping and repainting only to limit the number of buyers because of my color preference.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
The cleaner was probably acidic and it messed it up permanently. Did you see what it did to your rotors too, took the slots and drilled holes out too.

BillsSnake

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. Appliance section. Ask for Cerama Bryte - comes in a white plastic bottle. It's for cleaning cook tops -- If that doesn't work have them stripped, sanded, painted and clear coated.

Users who are viewing this thread