Wheel Clean

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Ok so this isnt for my Cobra but I know there are a lot of wheel savy people in here. This is for my pick-up, its was a field rescue and restore. The truck had already been lifted and was sporting a nice set of mag wheels I really like - problem was they had rust all over them (spotted all over the rim)

After trying a lot of things to get the rust off I finally said eff it and took steel wool to them and, wow, they look great, did just the trick, no stratches like I was worried. However, now they have these spots all over them where the rust was, like everything is washed out, or like there are hard water spots.

I need to know if anyone has any ways to get rid of these. I already tried Mothers billet cream to no effect

01yellercobra

Established Member
It sounds like the metal is etched. I think the only way to get rid of it is to sand them down. Are you looking for a brushed or polished finish?

K2AHollywood

Established Member
You know I never thought of it. The rims are definitely chrome finished and I think they were high polished back in the day. I like the a brushed finish the best.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Might be worth trying to strip the chrome off. Maybe it's just the chrome that's damaged. Then you can do whatever finish on the metal itself. I'd look into the clear powdercoat after you get the finish you want.

Users who are viewing this thread