Wheel bearing replacement?

a64armt

Established Member
How difficult is it to replace the front and rear wheel bearings on the SVT Focus?

Are the forward bearings pressed into the spindles and require purchasing of an entire spindle?

My 2002 SVTF w/102,xxx miles has had a groaning noise for some time, perhaps a few years. When it first happened, the car was still under warranty and the dealer told me it was tire noise. I replaced the tires and the noise was still there. I thought it was the brake rotors after that and recently replaced the rotors. I removed the winter tires and installed the summer tires (Goodyear F1 GSD3) and I am now very aware of the noise. The groaning is there at all times and is very prevalent when coasting to a stop (without the brakes applied). I will have to jack up the vehicle and figure out which bearing or bearings are bad. If I can't easily identify which is the culprit, I will probably replace them all if the task isn't too involved.

Thanks,
Vincent

CT SVT

Established Member
have you check the right axle support bearing?? they make noise that sounds like a wheel bearing. also yes all 4 wheel bearings are press in. front bearings you can replace. you don't have to replace the spindle unless you want to. new spindle comes with the bearing alreadly press in but the you need to pres in your wheel hub and make sure you don't push put the bearing when you press the hub into it.

a64armt

Established Member
Do you have an exploded view or photo of the right axle support bearing? I have not checked that.

The vehicle went through PA inspection and they said everything was fine. I haven't started the suspension rebuild yet, too many other projects running at this time. I still plan on replacing the shocks, bushings, tie rods and ball joints. The axle support bearing is something else I need to look at.

Thanks,
Vincent

a64armt

Established Member
After a quick search, I found this. Then I thought about it........DUH! I know what it is and where to look. I will check this out.

attachment.php

Thanks,
Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread