wheel and tpms question

FVEOH69

Established Member
I have my new forgestars and am getting ready to have the tires mounted. I do not plan on ever using my stock wheels again.( For sale btw wheel and tires local pick up only) Question is can you just take the stock tpms and transfer it into the new wheels ? OR do i have to buy new sensors like from american muscle ?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I've had stock tpms transferred in the past. tell your wheel guy not to **** it up.

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
is there any way of deleting the tpms system or making it not trip the light, making it think its reading the correct tire psi ect...???

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
is there any way of deleting the tpms system or making it not trip the light, making it think its reading the correct tire psi ect...???

build a time machine and tell those ****tards driving exploders to properly inflate their firestones.

Chaney5.0

build a time machine and tell those ****tards driving exploders to properly inflate their firestones.

Just spit up my beer all over my keyboard LOL

No but fo real doooe, you can get them transfered easy. The only thing I have to say is find a place that does GOOD, but CHEAP work. As you will have to pay somebody like discount tire, to open dismount all 4 old wheels, take out the tpms sensors, THEN mount the new tpms sensors to the wheels, along with mounting and balancing the new set. By the time you are all said and done you might as well keep your old tires together, with TPMS sensors in, and they will sell for a lot more that way. Get a new set and not have to mess with paying for your old set to be dismantled.

But yes, it can be done very easily. I have done it twice n the past before but with different (Insert POS manufacturer name here) that had TPMS sensors costing 500+ dollars.

Last edited:

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
Just spit up my beer all over my keyboard LOL

No but fo real doooe, you can get them transfered easy. The only thing I have to say is find a place that does GOOD, but CHEAP work. As you will have to pay somebody like discount tire, to open dismount all 4 old wheels, take out the tpms sensors, THEN mount the new tpms sensors to the wheels, along with mounting and balancing the new set. By the time you are all said and done you might as well keep your old tires together, with TPMS sensors in, and they will sell for a lot more that way. Get a new set and not have to mess with paying for your old set to be dismantled.

But yes, it can be done very easily. I have done it twice n the past before but with different (Insert POS manufacturer name here) that had TPMS sensors costing 500+ dollars.
yeah well either way for me it will throw a light due to me running 12-16psi depending if i have my slicks or radials on .... so i guess im stuck with the annoying ass light

debit_free_2010

Established Member
I have my new forgestars and am getting ready to have the tires mounted. I do not plan on ever using my stock wheels again.( For sale btw wheel and tires local pick up only) Question is can you just take the stock tpms and transfer it into the new wheels ? OR do i have to buy new sensors like from american muscle ?

All you need are new valve stems, Just swap the sensor over, Got mine from Rockauto.

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TPM930K

GearsNBeers

Established Member

To be honest it is probably cheaper in the long run and more convenient to get the $200 kit from AM or anywhere you can find a set cheaper. Then they are in the valve stem and you have the sync tool which makes it a lot more convenient to swap for any reason tire rotation ect. It is really stupid the way ford went about it to gouge some extra $$ out of people.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
To be honest it is probably cheaper in the long run and more convenient to get the $200 kit from AM or anywhere you can find a set cheaper. Then they are in the valve stem and you have the sync tool which makes it a lot more convenient to swap for any reason tire rotation ect. It is really stupid the way ford went about it to gouge some extra $$ out of people.

its not ford. its the government. that passes stupid ****ing laws to make their friends a ton of money. just like the x-ray/bomb scanners in the airports. do the research.

anyways. does anyone have a link to the best replacement TPMS setup that works with our cars without issue.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
its not ford. its the government. that passes stupid ****ing laws to make their friends a ton of money. just like the x-ray/bomb scanners in the airports. do the research.

anyways. does anyone have a link to the best replacement TPMS setup that works with our cars without issue.

I'd go oem from LRS or am.

five0three

big deal
Established Member
<--- Works at a tire shop

Any tire tech with half a brain can EASILY swap your TPMS sensors. They may charge you the labor to break down and rebuild your stock wheel/tire, but it is very common to swap sensors around..

Bmr4life

Established Member
could you mount all the sensors to the spare tire in order to avoid the light coming on?

Update. Yes and no. It would work until you drove 30 miles with the sensors not moving, then it would give the same error again. The sensors go to sleep when they are not spinning. I know this because I tried it. The error goes away if you get the sensors moving around, then you're good for another 30 miles. Not a practical solution.

Last edited:

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member

Have this kit on my CV7's. Very high quality...Expensive but nice.

vortecd

Established Member
Found the Ford one's new on ebay. Bought 4 for $50. I used 2 for my new wheels and I'm seeing no CEL

vortecd

Established Member
Ebay should always be on the list of places to look for anything. Not everything on there is some knock off part from china. I have found lots of great deals on brand name new parts and used.

4VFTW

Established Member
I bought the Ebay ones also. I did get a TPMS fault for a day or 2 then it went away and has been all good since. I did not need to calibrate them either.

Users who are viewing this thread