What's wrong with my Tranny/Clutch

termin8r

From STi to SVT
Established Member
So a problem started yesterday and has gotten more noticeable and frequent.

It started as a ticking noise that at first sounded like it was coming from under the hood, then under further inspection seemed to come from under the car, in the vacinity of the Tranny. It sounds somewhat muffled as in a metal peice hitting a plastic peace, not pingy like it would be if it were metal on metal

Then a squeal that sounds like a belt started in the same vacinity and can be heard in the car quite easilty. It happened what seemed to be very randomly and couldn' really be diagnosed

We then learned it is all clutch/ tranny related. When i cover the clutch pedal slightly, as in barely push it in, it creates the loud ticking and belt squealing sound. As soon as i let off or push it in further it went away. As the night went on it got worse and was making quite a bit of racket, and it started happening randomly w/o any clutch pedal pushing at all, then on some occassions when the clutch was pushed in it'd get louder and nastier sounding.

The clutch seems fine, no slipping or smells of burning.

I know the clutch adjustment is also an issue, since there is some slop in the pedal, and when it has been driven hard lately the shifter ABSOLUTELY will not go into gear when doing any sort of quick shifting. It also seems i have to pull up on the pedal to adjust it every stop now or else its pure sloppiness for the first bit of travel.

Please help me diagnose this.

Last edited:

termin8r

From STi to SVT
Established Member
Did some quick searching, sounds like its my TOB. Is this covered for free by ford on an '03 still by warranty/recall?

Any other inputs would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread