Whats wrong with my 01 cobra??

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Took it out to the track last night and ran times that were .5-.6 seconds lower than what I usually run. My best trap speed was only 96 mph when I usually hit 102-103 mph. What wrong with my car? Wether was pretty good like always, track prep seemed good cause my friends cobra ran the same times like always. z-z8's were killing me!! Only difference between last night and prior was an oil change. PLEASE HELP, I was embarrased.

FRUSTRATED AND DISSAPOINTED

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I'm not saying it is the oil. But I do believe you'll run better with old / broken in oil then new. Because the viscosity is broken down some. Just MO. It is probably wrong. Also what oil were your using, what weight? How many miles on her? Don't give up on her, lets go fast. BLOWER! maybe soon!:coolman:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by RO COBRA
Took it out to the track last night and ran times that were .5-.6 seconds lower than what I usually run. My best trap speed was only 96 mph when I usually hit 102-103 mph. What wrong with my car? Wether was pretty good like always, track prep seemed good cause my friends cobra ran the same times like always. z-z8's were killing me!! Only difference between last night and prior was an oil change. PLEASE HELP, I was embarrased.

FRUSTRATED AND DISSAPOINTED

That time in your sig has got to be wrong, correct? now way you ran 101 and only a 14.4 ET? when i had 3500 miles on mine it ran a 13.78 @102 (HORRIBLE 60' time - 2.35 or so). But you also have to consider, if the previous times you're reffering to were run earlier in the year, say, spring, they're going to be noticeably better than running right now when it's hot as hell. Right now I run a 8.8 in the 1/8th, but in april or may i was runnin 8.6's. That could account for your lost time if what I said is the case.......

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
I just remembered one thing about the oil change. The guy who changed the oil told me he wasn't sure how much oil to put?? So he put in 6 quarts and gave me an extra bottle to take home. Said the dipstick wasn't reading accurate. Could the amount of oil affect the performance of my engine? Is 6 quarts the right amount? This oil change was made on 7/15/02 so it had time to wear in. (mobile 1 syn 5w-30)

The 14.4 sig is correct. I live in el paso where the elevtion is at 3800 ft. My times translates to 13.5 at sealevel.

BTW.. Should I take it to the dealer and have them check it out even though the car seems perfectly right 'cept for my track times?

SLOWBRA

Established Member
6 Quarts is what our cars take...

You can't read the dipstick unless the car has been sitting for a few hours.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
To be absolutely correct on the matter.. I've heard to add 6 and check it... Some say it takes 6.5, some say it takes 6. Mine takes 6, and even after letting it sit overnight, it's dead in the middle of the dipstick...

Check the link..

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151203&highlight=oil

You really need to let the car sit for quite some time before checking the dipstick. Few Hours is a must.. I wait overnight just to be 100% sure.

Last edited:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Well.. I am not a professional by any means.. But I was advised by many more educated people to never fill it to the max line. Always halfway between min and max..

That's just me.... I'm sure the max is ok too.. Again, I don't know any more about it.

Shawn

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
I put in 6 in mine. Then clean up and check the oil. If does not show low I am happy. I check it every 2 weeks just to verify that I haven't destroyed something and started losing oil..

01CobraX0

According to our manuals, we are supposed to take 6 quarts and that it should only bring the oil level somewhere between low and high. They also seem to suggest that if the oil level reaches the high mark, then it may already be too much.
The first time I changed the oil I also used 6.5 quarts, but since then I have been filing it up with only 6.:shrug:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
mine takes about 6.5, and then about a quart a month in between......funny thing is i had the cylinders leak tested, and they all show really tight.
wonder where that oil is going.........

Users who are viewing this thread