Whats up with the two peice driveshaft?

sqidd

Established Member
I was under the car putting the exhaust on yesterday and saw that......thing:shrug: What is it for? It looks like it's primed to come apart? Do these fail? Is there a good solid replacement?

BigRick

Whippled Roush
Established Member
I'd like to hear a Ford engineer explain the purpose also.If anybody knows the explanation please enlighten me.

I've seen the carbon fiber driveshafts for $1000.Havent really looked for a cheaper price since I have other mods ahead on the list.Claims that they are good for 1000+ HP are probably accurate.

Aluminum for $500 sounds like a good deal.Does anybody know the weight difference between the carbon fiber and aluminum driveshafts?

sqidd

Established Member
Last edited:

sqidd

Established Member
turbosaleen said:
We sell the chromoly drive shaft as a complete kit for 399
and the aluminum as a complete kit for 498

wieght for the aluminum is 23 pounds 27 pounds for the chromoly

54 pounds for the stocker.
www.psiperformance.net

What, no carbon fiber:-D

I wil call later today for a driveshaft.

Gixx1300R

Established Member
I purchased a Ford Ranger driveshaft,had it cut 9 inches and balanced,got a Cobra Pinion flange and installed it. My 1/4 times dropped 2 tenths by installing the aluminum driveshaft. It weighs in at 17lbs,my cost was around $230.00 total.

RangerShaft1.gif

Rangershaft2.gif

RangerShaft3.gif

Last edited:

sqidd

Established Member
Gixx1300R said:
I purchased a Ford Ranger driveshaft,had it cut 9 inches and balanced,got a Cobra Pinion flange and installed it. My 1/4 times dropped 2 tenths by installing the aluminum driveshaft. It weighs in at 17lbs,my cost was around $230.00 total.

Yeah, but how much is your time worth?:rollseyes

sqidd

Established Member
Gixx1300R said:
I guess about $75.00 since it only took an hour to install it

Thats reasonable I suppose. But if you ran 7 hours worth of trips to the shop, store, welder, balancer, etc then it wouldn't be such a hot idea:D

I'm just trying to make myself feel better. I got PHP driveshaft today for $700.

Gixx1300R

Established Member
sqidd said:
Thats reasonable I suppose. But if you ran 7 hours worth of trips to the shop, store, welder, balancer, etc then it wouldn't be such a hot idea:D

I'm just trying to make myself feel better. I got PHP driveshaft today for $700.

I understand. With the money that I saved I purchased a set of Poly Motor Mounts.

turbosaleen

Established Member
the 23 pound wieght includes the cobra pinion flange and the bolts that you have to put on the pinon to use our shaft the sahft itsself is aprox 18 pounds.

the ranger shaft is also on a national back order from ford.

sqidd

Established Member
turbosaleen said:
the ranger shaft is also on a national back order from ford.

In Ducati circles we call that "Intergalactic" backorder!:cuss:

To save weight I'm going to drill millioins of little holes in my driveshaft:idea:

pwrhws

www.PowerHouse411.com
Established Member
The main reason for the 2 piece shaft is simply to help isolate the noise generated from the rear end of the car.

The GT 500 have a vary similar setup.

The shafts are weak, and will fail with any type of sticky tire and agressive launches.
It forced us to come up with our bolt in solution.

Users who are viewing this thread