What's this truck worth?

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I'm looking at maybe buying a Powerstroke tomorrow and was wondering what some of you think it's worth. It's a '97 F-250 4x4 5-speed extended cab short box. It's red with red interior (not my favorite, but could be worse). The truck has 89,000 miles and this guy is the second owner (bought it with 15k). It has all the power goodies, A/C, cruise, trailer hitch, brake controller, a Rhino lining, and new tires. The damn thing looks new. I poked in and around everything and couldn't find a defect. There were a few very small rock chips in a couple areas, but otherwise the paint was flawless. No dings or scratches. The interior was nothing short of perfect with no stains, rips, tears, smells, loose or broken panels, or anything. It was clean clean. I couldn't see any leaks anywhere in the drivetrain and everything was real tight in the front end. Even the brakes look almost new. If you can't tell by now, I made a few very thorough inspections and couldn't find anything wrong. The test drive was just as good. He claimed it was the original clutch, but it felt great. Drove it on the highway and found no shakes, pulling, or other problems. It ran great. I really like the truck, and even though I wasn't planning on getting one so soon, I need a diesel. They are hard to find around here (especially for a reasonable price), and this is a clean one owned most of it's life by a picky old guy who kept it in a garage. I'm ready to jump on it before it's gone, but I want to know if the price is right. He's asking $14,900 and said he'd take $14,700 ( :bored: great negotiating skills on my part :bash: ). I think I could probably take it home for $14,500 cash, but he's pretty firm on the price. Is it worth it? Blue Book and NADA have it listed between $12,900 and $16,900. Carfax was clean and confirmed his story. What would you do? :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Jinxd4.6 said:
I'm looking at maybe buying a Powerstroke tomorrow and was wondering what some of you think it's worth. It's a '97 F-250 4x4 5-speed extended cab short box. It's red with red interior (not my favorite, but could be worse). The truck has 89,000 miles and this guy is the second owner (bought it with 15k). It has all the power goodies, A/C, cruise, trailer hitch, brake controller, a Rhino lining, and new tires. The damn thing looks new. I poked in and around everything and couldn't find a defect. There were a few very small rock chips in a couple areas, but otherwise the paint was flawless. No dings or scratches. The interior was nothing short of perfect with no stains, rips, tears, smells, loose or broken panels, or anything. It was clean clean. I couldn't see any leaks anywhere in the drivetrain and everything was real tight in the front end. Even the brakes look almost new. If you can't tell by now, I made a few very thorough inspections and couldn't find anything wrong. The test drive was just as good. He claimed it was the original clutch, but it felt great. Drove it on the highway and found no shakes, pulling, or other problems. It ran great. I really like the truck, and even though I wasn't planning on getting one so soon, I need a diesel. They are hard to find around here (especially for a reasonable price), and this is a clean one owned most of it's life by a picky old guy who kept it in a garage. I'm ready to jump on it before it's gone, but I want to know if the price is right. He's asking $14,900 and said he'd take $14,700 ( :bored: great negotiating skills on my part :bash: ). I think I could probably take it home for $14,500 cash, but he's pretty firm on the price. Is it worth it? Blue Book and NADA have it listed between $12,900 and $16,900. Carfax was clean and confirmed his story. What would you do? :shrug:

it is hard to put $$$ on that truck, the only thing i see is the 5 sp. if ti were going to the auction it would bring all the $$$. if you can get it, it will be a good deal at 13500 to 14k. jmo.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
bbp42d said:
it is hard to put $$$ on that truck, the only thing i see is the 5 sp. if ti were going to the auction it would bring all the $$$. if you can get it, it will be a good deal at 13500 to 14k. jmo.
Around here they try to stick it in your ass for having a man. trans. It would be probably 5-600 dollars less than an auto here. Low retail in my area through nada(what all the banks use) is 14,150. Can you afford or want a superduty?? It is much more refined, and you step up power/transmission wise(if staying manual.) The zf-5 speed and clutch setup in the 97 is a joke IMHO. Our old 97 went through several flywheels for some stupid reason. I would say like bbp 13.5-4 on the absolute high side. I have a dealer around here(not that far away) that has been long time family friends, and is where I got mine. I will check inventory, they are small but are decently priced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread