What's the purpose of SAAB?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
I was coming back from lunch and there was a newer looking SAAB infront of me, it looked kind of like a BMW M3 to me from the back but I know very little about imports. While looking at it I thought about what the purpose of this company was since you don't see a whole lot around minus the older ones. I hit up Wiki and they don't make anything ground breaking that seperates them from the pack so who the hell is in the market for a Swedish vehicle? Is there a stereotypical tag associated with SAAB owners? From the one owner I met on base they appear to be douche bags, I found out after I declared the guy a d-bag that he drove a SAAB.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
they are born from jets.....thats all they need to sell!!!!

lol j/k

Maybe thats why GM cant sell them

I do recall there was the saab 9.3????? that was a sti engine and drive train awd with a saab body on it,

some of them are really nice and turboed they handle well

THE_STIG

Established Member
They aren't bad cars, the awd turbo ones are pretty fun actually. I was never a fan of the interior though.

SVT03DAL

Established Member
My fiancee bought one this past spring, she got an incredible deal on it. It's SAAB 9-3 AERO which is the turbo version. It's a quick little car, dual exhaust (sounds nice for an import) tiptronic shift, all the bells and whistles. It's a fun sport lux car.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My fiancee bought one this past spring, she got an incredible deal on it. It's SAAB 9-3 AERO which is the turbo version. It's a quick little car, dual exhaust (sounds nice for an import) tiptronic shift, all the bells and whistles. It's a fun sport lux car.

All newer (2003+) 9-3 have turbos on them, not just the Aero model.

Saab makes a nice car. They are comfortable, quiet, and overall a nice car. However, the older models (03-04) are prone to numerous electrical problems. I owned a 2003 low mileage 9-3 Aero for about a year and it was in the shop under warranty probably a dozen times. My ex-wife owned a 03 9-3 Linear (base model) and had good luck with it until 93k miles or so.

rickm8

Banned
my buddy has a 9-3 aero, they definitely give you all the speed you really need to drive everyday, they obviously won't be a terminator...

they have this cool thing for the speedometer, i forget what 'mode' it's called, but it makes everything black on the dash and just lights the speedo as you go through each number, it's pretty neat.
plus, they handle well.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
It's really too bad that Koenigsegg bailed on the Saab purchase. They might have taken the car in an interesting direction.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
so it's considered a sports luxury car? I'm not sure on what the price ranges are but I could only imagine it's a decent amount so what makes these cars stand out from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and other supposed sport luxury models and companies? All these companies have their fast luxury car or super luxury car but I've never heard anyone in my entire 26+yrs on this earth say, "you know what I would kill to have? A SAAB".

Catfood

Established Member
They are good cars, but they are mostly FWD with torque steer. However my friends saab viggen can pull even with my B5 S4 from 50-120. They don't launch worth a damn, they dont stop or turn as well, but he does occasionally get 40 mpg to my measly 26.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
The same reason we have like 30 other auto brands. Variety, something a little different from the other guy. I don't understand how someone into cars has never heard or seen a SAAB.

oldmodman

Established Member
The purpose of SAAB?

They don't rust.

The Saab Corrosion Limited Warranty covers the vehicle for any painted part of the vehicle’s body that rusts through. To qualify, the part must have a hole completely through the part. The part may be repaired or replaced, depending on the extent of the damage. This warranty is in effect for six years with no limitation on mileage.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
My dad just bought his second Saab. I actually drove the first one when I was 16, nice little car. He has the 9-3 Aero convertible. I don't know much specs wise, but I really like his car. It's fun and easy to drive and looks good. And he is definitely not a snob or d-bag.

We have a client who drives one and thinks it's the most exotic thing in the world. She is very pretentious (sp?) to begin with and she thinks because she drives a Saab it make sher more special, lol.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
They used to be an interesting, quirky little Swedish company. Now they're just rebadged Chevy Malibus.:shrug:

venmos1

Established Member
my wife and i owned an 03 9-3 linear. great looking car (i thought resembled bmw a little). handled great, decent acceleration, braking etc. having said that, i will never own one again. electrical nightmares. and their transmissions are aweful. too many sensors in them. we replaced way too many and they are far from cheap. interior was nice, i thought. heated leather seats, good sound system etc. not the best of anything but decent for the price. if it werent for the electrical issues and poor auto trannies i would consider one again in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread