Whats the problem with the BOI fog lights?

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
Im in the market for foglights that are a direct replacement... and I'd prefer something smoked. I hear alot of people saying the Blue Oval fogs are horrible...but never heard why.... so why?

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Don't know where to start. There was a multiple page thread a while back title "Blue Oval Industries Sucks" that had tons of opinions. I ordered their headlights and fog lights, because I have heard of some good transactions. Started installing the fog lights (actually a friend of mine did while I was doing the headlights). Before he got everything mounted up the lens fell off one of them. I contacted BOI, paid $10 to ship them back, they replaced them free of charge. I put the replacements on myself, thinking that maybe my friend was too rough with them. I was very cautious, same thing happened. They didn't want to give my money back, and I wasn't going to keep shipping them back at $10 every time, so took my loses. I tried buying adhesive made for plastic/lights and it wouldn't hold more than a week or two. I've heard of the ones that don't fall off, they get too hot and melt. I know I wish so much that I hadn't wasted my money on them and listened to people.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I put BOI foglights on my old '94 probably in March this year. Yes, the lenses are not sealed (there is a little notch which they line up with the housing) so they will come off. I used a small bead of gorilla glue on the housing where the lens sits in and uses a q-tip to spread it around. Then, I took the lens, put it in upside down, and turned it until the notch matched up and it locked in. I left it for a few hours and it was good to go. The lenses have not fallen off to this day (I sold the car to a friend) and have not melted.

They are not the best quality foglights, but they are damn good looking and if you spend the 10 minutes that I did (plus cure time) you will not have a single problem with them.

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
Don't know where to start. There was a multiple page thread a while back title "Blue Oval Industries Sucks" that had tons of opinions. I ordered their headlights and fog lights, because I have heard of some good transactions. Started installing the fog lights (actually a friend of mine did while I was doing the headlights). Before he got everything mounted up the lens fell off one of them. I contacted BOI, paid $10 to ship them back, they replaced them free of charge. I put the replacements on myself, thinking that maybe my friend was too rough with them. I was very cautious, same thing happened. They didn't want to give my money back, and I wasn't going to keep shipping them back at $10 every time, so took my loses. I tried buying adhesive made for plastic/lights and it wouldn't hold more than a week or two. I've heard of the ones that don't fall off, they get too hot and melt. I know I wish so much that I hadn't wasted my money on them and listened to people.

wow.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I re-sealed both of mine... then the stock bulbs began to melt the inside of the fog light. That distorted the housing and caused both lenses to fall off.

They are cheap overpriced junk

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I tried several glues, and the last one I tried held, but there was a reaction with the plastic and it caused the lens to become hazy. Good to know someone had good luck with their stuff, I sure didn't.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
They don't make them, they just resell them for some other company KSC or something

I just had an idea... what about putting the smoked lenses on the factory housings? The factory housings don't melt and they're the same size

Last edited:

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I prefer the Envoy swap. Better output, and best of all you don't have to worry about the lenses. I've got about $80 in my swap, versus $70 (i think) I spent on the fogs.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I re-sealed both of mine... then the stock bulbs began to melt the inside of the fog light. That distorted the housing and caused both lenses to fall off.

They are cheap overpriced junk

You know I'm a noob, and they're still on Chris's car :shrug:

Woo I did something right for once :D

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Made by a different company, but I have no idea how they will hold up. I e-mailed them asking about their supplier, and even though it was different, I didn't want to risk wasting another $70 bucks. I've got about that in my Envoy setup and looks/performs much better. It was a pain to get setup correctly, but well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread