Whats the most boost I can run on a 6-rib belt w/o slip on a vortech?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
I have a vortech blower and am only running 7psi (the stock pulley) but id like to be in the 15lb range (yes I have a built motor) Whats the mast boost I can run on a 6-rib belt before I start getting belt slip, and what all does it take to convert to 8-Rib? is it even worth it? Harmonic Balancer, A/C pulley, P/S pulley, Belt tensioners, Blower, Water Pump... What will all this run or should I just still with a 6-rib?

poisonpony96

Established Member
I have a 6 rib 13psi no issue going with a 10% overdrive crank so should be closer to 18psi. Had the pulley media blasted so won't slip. That's what tuner said to do.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It really all depends on the wrap and the pulley combo.. If you just pulley the S/C pulley to a 2.75'' hell ya your gunna slip, but if you do a 15% O/D crank pulley and a bigger blower pulley for more wrap I don't see why it would slip at all.. that's my .02..

96snake719

Established Member
Im at just about 12 psi on a 2.87 and I have no slip, and that is with stock crank pulley. So Im pretty happy I thought I was gonna have tons of slipping issues but none so far.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Ok, do I have to mess with the UD pulley, im thinking of just getting the 3.12 pulley which is about 14lbs, can anyone verify that btw? Also, can I just get the 3.10 pulley and be done with it?

poisonpony96

Established Member
I have a t-trim with a 3.30 pulley? I believe that's what I read on the side of it. Only hitting 13 psi. Blow off valve opens

JaguarS4R

Established Member
is there a big difference between all these trims? Dont they just mean that one can handle more boost than the other, whats the lowest to highest or entry level vs. better?

Spoolin B00ST

Established Member
Figured I'd revive this post, I currently have the 3.4 pulley and my car came with a 3.1 I'm looking to put on, I'm still 6 rib with a stock cobra crank pulley, near redline I was getting pretty close to 15 lbs, would I be looking at a lot of belt slip going this route? I was maybe considering an 8 rib setup, or going to an overdrive crank, but then will I have to underdrive my alternator?

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
AE0A36C3-1762-4B46-A55E-10CBC92B1372.jpeg
Still using a 6 rib belt and run a V-1 S-Trim with the original pulley that it came with when it purchased the kit. Later I purchased the Vortech A/W after cooler but retained the original pulley. Boost dropped about 2 psi.
So instead using a smaller SC pulley I reduced the inlet restrictions by replacing the drier hose and plastic pieces with 3.5” steel tubing, powder coated inside and out. Boost jumped up to 10.5 psi with no detectable belt slippage.

Users who are viewing this thread