whats the MAX psi of boost on a stock motor?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
about 3k, the problem is the motor is brand new and completely rebuilt and I cant find out if its built or not, so I will play it safe and just say not built

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
That sucks if you don't know if it's "built". I wouldn't go more than 10# on a conservative tune.

Last edited:

JaguarS4R

Established Member
well im pushing 8.9lbs right not and I really want to be at like 13 or even 15... lol and trust me, im at a conservative tune, redlining at 6300... lol

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
3 ways to find out

1. tear it apart
2. find out who built or paid for it
3 max psi

wouldnt do more than 10

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
well I know its a new motor just not sure if its built or stock, how would pulling the oil pan off help me?

Flashlight, and look at the shit. Maybe see part numbers and whatnot. ARP crap, or some shit that will tell you what they put up in there.

CJK440

Established Member
well I know its a new motor just not sure if its built or stock, how would pulling the oil pan off help me?

With the pan off you can ID the rods rather easily and if you know what you are looking for, can tell what material the pistons are made of. Take good pics and post them if you are unsure.

The only thing you won't be able to check is compression and ring gap, but if you find stock powdered metal rods and hyper slugs, I guess its not as important.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
44K original miles on mine
Boosting 9lbs at 6750rpm
465 RWHP
Conservative tune also.
Runs like a champ.
I never take it past 6500

F8L BYT

Established Member
Quick question, why is it a lot of you supercharged guys dont spin the engine higher like around 7k?

Monster Mach

Established Member
Depends.. some are running 8 psi blowing up some are running 12psi fine its more hp than anything.. u wanna be around 450-500 max

Teej281

Established Member
Quick question, why is it a lot of you supercharged guys dont spin the engine higher like around 7k?

Well I'd think that a centri car would make power up to 7k, but when youre boosted, not only is RPM putting stress on the rods, but so is the boost. So to turn a stock cobra to 7000rpm is putting a lot of stress on the rods, but to add boost to it...well lets just say you could compare the rods to twigs in that scenario. Powdered metal rods and pistons SUCK!:kaboom:

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Well Im redlining at 6200k, should I get the tune and bump it to 6500 even If I have stock internals, would 6200 v.s 6500 make a big difference? How my RWHP difference? give or take?

Users who are viewing this thread