Whats the best way to support motor for Header install?

Zman04

Established Member
LIke I said I having been putting off my header install for awhile. I was going to use a lift but I have decided just to do it in my garage so I can take my time. But wat is the best way to support the motor while I take the k-member out?

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
I would use a engine hoist some how..i've seen people support the motor by the crank/balancer but i highly advise against it.

good luck

Jay

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Depends what type of headers you are installing. If you have the Kooks you do not need to move anything. The starter can stay right where it is! There is just a specific pattern for them to be put in. It can all be done on jack stands or Rhino Ramps. Good Luck, Jared

Zman04

Established Member
I am installing JBA midlengths. Jba's instructions say you dont have to remove the k-member, but everone I talk to say it is almost impossiable to get to all of the bolts to torque down if the k-member is still installed.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
I have two floor jacks and a transmission jack. What I did when I needed to support the engine was stack a couple of phone books on the jack and jack the front of the engine on the lower pulley until it was snug, just lifted a little. Then I stuck the transmission jack near the bellhousing/flywheel and jacked it till it was snug. worked like a charm.

Zman04

Established Member
Yeah I thought about doing it that way, but I am just worried that the jacks will be in my way trying to lay down there and put the headers on.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Zman04 said:
Yeah I thought about doing it that way, but I am just worried that the jacks will be in my way trying to lay down there and put the headers on.

I doubt it.. I put a k-member and headers in this way.. I did this without the transmission in the car though so it needed to be supported at both ends.. If you do it with the transmision in you could probably get away with just supporting the front pulley.

Zman04

Established Member
Thanks I might try that. I like you phone book idea. You dont think there is anyway that is going to hurt anything. Like bend the pully or crank? How much do our engines weigh.

Users who are viewing this thread