What's the best way to change a roush pulley?

by9468840

Established Member
No idea how to change the pulley on a TVS2300.
No instructions around either. Don't know how anyone can even access to that tensioner? It's so cramped in there and I have no idea how it works.

Would simply removing upper idler to get some belt slack and then changing the pulley work? What's the best step by step procedure?
Thanks

JerryC

Established Member
1. Loosen the pulley bolts first.
2. Take the tension off the belt by using a breaker bar or ratchet with a 15mm (might be 17mm) socket in the belt tensioner. It's down and to the left as you look at the engine. Push down clockwise to take tension off the belt.
3. Slide the belt off the blower pulley.
4. remove blower pulley bolts and blower pulley
5. install new pulley and bolts
6. put belt on while pushing down on the tensioner.
7. tighten pulley bolts.

Some people put a tiny bit of blue locktite on the pulley bolts

grnenvy

Established Member
First off loosen the bolts on the pulley then get a long 3/8 handle with a 14mm or 17mm I can't remember which size and pry down on the tensioner while sliding the belt off and then repeat the processes.

by9468840

Established Member
I asked the same to justin from vmp. Said I don't need a new tune. Told me to just mount 82mm, datalog it and send him the results.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Other than the obvious more power....what effects does a 3mm smaller pulley have on the car/tune?

Wil it make it not as rich?

by9468840

Established Member
Ok I don't care if you guys call me a pussy but I'm seriously scared of the tensioner.
That damn thing is so strong I couldn't turn it with a rachet and 17mm socket. It's almost impossible to turn it clockwise. I gave up before forcing it further. Tried to remove the upper idler toget some belt slack but that didn't work either. Damn these roush belts are quite tense!

Ok so how can I remove the tension? Use a giant breaker bar just force it clockwise?
Is that thing supposed to be torqued back to some specification after pulley swap is done? Like how do I know how much I should
Turn it for the right tension on the belt?

Got no experience with this guys. Sorry. I hate everyone who says this is a 10min job!!:)
It isn't and I'm utterly scared of Breaking something.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
It was really hard the first couple times I did it, but once you get a good angle of attack it's not that bad. I put the wrench on with the handle at about 1 o'clock (looking from the front of the car towards the back), and then use body weight to push it down to release tension. At first I had the handle at like 11 o'clock and trying to push it across the front of the motor and that was almost impossible. Use a good ratchet/breaker bar and make sure the 17 doesn't slip off.... OUCH

by9468840

Established Member
Wouldn't it be possible to just remove upper idler to release some tension and than pull the pulley off without releasing the tension?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Don't just assume that your tune is ok to run a smaller pulley on... Some tuners set up their tunes to work at different boost levels and some don't. Confirm with your tuner before upping boost like that!!!

by9468840

Established Member
Of course I spoke to Justin from Vmp. I'm just upgrading from 85mm to 82mm. He told me to do the change and datalog for review. But first I need to remove this damn pulley. At this moment I'm actually giving up. It's humanly not possible. At least with my apparently short rachet. I tried it at least 10 times. Damn tensioner doesn't move at all.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I've done it with a 10" long'ish ratchet. Using a ratchet that short it feels like you're gonna push the handle right through your hand before it finally starts moving.... lol

Users who are viewing this thread