What's the best polisher for a beginner?

silverstang84

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm wondering what's a good polisher for a beginning detailer.. I'm not looking to start a business or do any side work as a detailer, just keep my own cars looking their best. I see a lot of good things about porter cable and dewalt polishers. Also, wheres he best place to buy different pads for these polishers? Thanks

Franco

Established Member
I use the DeWALT DWP849. Variable speed. IMO. Best out there. A little heavy but results speak for themselves

danponjican

Established Member
Sign up for the Harbor Freight mailing list... wait for a 20% - 25% coupon and get the HF Polisher. Can't be beat for the money. Get the extended warranty if you are skiddish about Chicago Electric tools (but in my opinion, they're just as good as the next brand). You'll still be in at less than half of a PC or Griots so spend it on pads and quality polishes.

Noreiga

Established Member
I use the DeWALT DWP849. Variable speed. IMO. Best out there. A little heavy but results speak for themselves

I would never suggest a rotary polisher to someone who is looking to start out detailing. So I would just steer clear of anything to do with that OP.

You've got the Harbor Freight DA that's going to be the best bang for your buck as it is reasonably priced.

The next tier of DA polishers as far as price/quality go will be the PC 7424xp, Griots Garage 6" and the Meguiars DA. I'm personally considering picking up a 7424xp as a second machine to only use 3" pads on so that I don't have to swap backing plates.

Finally if you're looking for the strongest machines you can get that will still be safe to use being new to detailing then you'll want to look towards Rupes, Cyclo or Flex. I started out on with the Flex 3401 and have been nothing but impressed with it. I certainly don't regret spending the extra money and going for one of these compared to any of the ones I listed above. http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html will have any of the pads and polishers you like to check out with the exception of the Harbor Freight DA.

Last edited:

Franco

Established Member
I would never suggest a rotary polisher to someone who is looking to start out detailing. So I would just steer clear of anything to do with that OP.

You've got the Harbor Freight DA that's going to be the best bang for your buck as it is reasonably priced.

The next tier of DA polishers as far as price/quality go will be the PC 7424xp, Griots Garage 6" and the Meguiars DA. I'm personally considering picking up a 7424xp as a second machine to only use 3" pads on so that I don't have to swap backing plates.

Finally if you're looking for the strongest machines you can get that will still be safe to use being new to detailing then you'll want to look towards Rupes, Cyclo or Flex. I started out on with the Flex 3401 and have been nothing but impressed with it. I certainly don't regret spending the extra money and going for one of these compared to any of the ones I listed above. http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html will have any of the pads and polishers you like to check out with the exception of the Harbor Freight DA.

I disagree but thats my opinion. A beginner can use the variable speed on the dewalt (I believe lowest speed is 600 rpms) to avoid damaging the finish and then step up as OP gets more experience.

Fact of the matter is that any machine can harm the finish if used incorrectly.

Most important is to get the proper quality pads for each step.

Last edited:

Noreiga

Established Member
I disagree but thats my opinion. A beginner can use the variable speed on the dewalt (I believe lowest speed is 600 rpms) to avoid damaging the finish and then step up as OP gets more experience.

Fact of the matter is that any machine can harm the finish if used incorrectly.

Most important is to get the proper quality pads for each step.

I would never want to be that guy that screwed up someones paint because I wanted to rush into a rotary. The likelihood of messing up the paint with something like the 7424xp is near impossible since the pad will stop spinning with too much pressure or poor pad angle on the paint. You really won't run into potential issues until you start playing with forced rotation like a rotary or the flex. Like I mentioned before I started on the Flex and have had no issues on multiple corrections, but there is no way I would have touched a rotary. I can agree that if you're careful you might be okay, but is it really worth the chance?

Last edited:

Franco

Established Member
You've got to consider the fact he is wanting to use this on other peoples vehicles and not just his own. I would never want to be that guy that screwed up someones paint because I wanted to rush into a rotary. The likelihood of messing up the paint with something like the 7424xp is near impossible since the pad will stop spinning with too much pressure or poor pad angle on the paint. You really won't run into potential issues until you start playing with forced rotation like a rotary or the flex. Like I mentioned before I started on the Flex and have had no issues on multiple corrections, but there is no way I would have touched a rotary. I can agree that if you're careful you might be okay, but is it really worth the chance?

Improper technique with any machine can damage finish. I have been doing this 15 years and I have used them all. Just stating my machine opinion. There is no correct answer.

The only correct answer is to practice on your own vehicle/ property before attempting any sort of detailing/correction on anybody's car. When you are comfortable with your skills then move on.

BladeX10

Established Member
I've had my Harbor Freight DA Polisher for over a year now and still works flawlessly. Best $50 bucks i've ever spent. Eventually i'd like to get a higher end DA but this one was a perfect starter DA.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I have a brand new one I bought off my neighbor for $40 that he never used. It appears to be a very solid unit and I can't wait to try it out this Spring!!!

Garry Dean uses one on the majority of his details - Ferrari's, Vettes, Teslas etc. If it's good enough for a pro like him I'm definitely down. I'm going to get one as a back up when i get back stateside.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I would never want to be that guy that screwed up someones paint because I wanted to rush into a rotary. The likelihood of messing up the paint with something like the 7424xp is near impossible since the pad will stop spinning with too much pressure or poor pad angle on the paint. You really won't run into potential issues until you start playing with forced rotation like a rotary or the flex. Like I mentioned before I started on the Flex and have had no issues on multiple corrections, but there is no way I would have touched a rotary. I can agree that if you're careful you might be okay, but is it really worth the chance?

Exactly right - a rotary is NOT the machine for a beginner. Especially the heavier/bigger DeWalts and Makita's. Once you've mastered your techique by all means move up to a rotary. And unless you're a pro doing lots of boats and RV's stick with a PE-14 or something along those lines. I love both my Flex buffers!!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
What is the process for using a polisher? What pads and polishes do you guys use, why and how? Thanks.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Get a porter cable 7424xp and be done with it!
Exactly right - a rotary is NOT the machine for a beginner.
+1 to all of this.

What is the process for using a polisher? What pads and polishes do you guys use, why and how? Thanks.
Whether you use their products or not, the folks at Adam's Polishes made a set of videos that demonstrate/explain the entire detailing process, including paint correction.

FWIW, I use Adam's products. I've used many different products in the 30+ years I've owned and detailed vehicles. Most of them have been black, which is one of the hardest colors to get right, but Adam's makes it easy (or at least easier than anything else I've tried). They are far from the cheapest but, with very few exceptions, their products (all of which are made in the USA) are the best I've used. Their service is the best and their 110% Satisfaction Guarantee make purchases from them virtually risk-free.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
One other "kit" you'll need for best practive and best results will be a clay or nano-skin kit. My rule is pads won't touch paint until it's been completely decontaminated - the best way to do that (barring wet sanding) is clay.

inyadreems

Established Member
I would go with the GG 6' DA and a variety of pads. Megs has some new foam cutting and polishing discs, along with their MF pads and you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread