Whats the best method of tuning my 94 Stroker?

fubu795

Banned
Well since the car has been built, its never been tuned. Its a built fully forged 347, About 5k miles now. It runs excellent surprisingly, get some idle surges now and again but nothing crazy. The car pulls like a rapped ape, definitly low 12's or high 11's. My buddy has a 04 Mach 1 that runs 12.50s and I can walk him easily.

I am getting a vortech next month and gonna run alot of boost, in excess of 12-15lbs. I will obviously need a tune then. Should I just get a custom chip piggy-backed to the stock ECU, or I see some goes getting fox body ecu's.

I've only done tuning on my cobra, I dont know much about 5.0 tuning as I've never had it done. I plan on heading to kauffmans once the vortech arrives.

Dan....

94CobraPace

Established Member
A subject of great debate.
You can get a custom chip burned on a dyno & have good results. The drawback is that if you change parts you have to get a chip reburned. Some chips have switches for different tunes, track tune with race gas, street ect.
You can get a programable tuner like a tweecer or PMS. Harder to use & best if on a dyno and\or a wide band O2 sensor. A plus is that you can change things after more mods. More of a do it yourself option as I don't think a tuner would want to use, unles he knows the system.
Changing to the fox computer is a option, but still will probley need a chip. Some will say this is the best, others will say this is a step backwards? Lots of opinions.
The 94\95's don't have the ODBII computer, so no flashing of the computer like the 03.
Good luck, sounds like you gonna\already have a beast. I'm running a mild combo with supercharger & don't have a tune.

stangman701

Rowing gears
Established Member
I would say tweecar and wide band O2 for best results. Although I've never used either. I plan on getting a DJ WBC to tune my 85 with and to keep my 03 in check.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I've got a chip on my EEC for my 331. I did this because my next mod is going to be a turbo setup, so the chip just allows me to know that i wont blow up my motor and my idle is perfect.

I hear the PMS is more 'user-friendly' -er than the twEECer R/T. Thats what I have read on Corral. Since you know how to tune your 03, than you are a couple steps ahead of most of us. If you go with the PMS, just make sure you get the '04 version. Also you do not need a labtop with the PMS.

You know of any good tuners for chips up there? Only one I know of close to you is JDM, but you'd have to convince them to tune your pushrod because they claim to not tune them anymore. When i talked to Jim D'Amore last year he said he would tune mine once I finished my setup, so you can talk your way into it.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
YEah i have a TwEECer and its a great tool. Im gonna be getting a wideband soon so that should help my tuning alot. But you need to have patience to make sure you are working it right and to figure out problems. IF you have the cash most people seem to like the PMS and a wideband, but i like my tweecer just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread