What's the best CAI?

ramstein

Established Member
I'm looking for my 2nd mod-CAI and wanted to get some opinions on what intake is the most popular choice and why. I am currently looking at Airaid with ram air box and clear plastic heat shield. Seems like it would be somewhat comparable to Vararam on Vettes.

whatsup62

Established Member
The Airaid with insert not removed should work fine...however you will see little to no gain at all. If you go a different route such as a JLT or Steeda, those require a tune. Then you will see some significant gains...mostly coming from the tune.

Zodiac

Established Member
Which one do you like best? I mean most claim there is no gains to be had. I have a Roush because I like the way it looks. You can do the GT350 CAI as well. PMAS has an intake that has been showing pretty good gains, they worked out the kinks from the first variation and seems to be well liked. Personally I wish roto fab would make one for the Mustang.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Another PMAS vote. There is a good thread about this CAI over on 6g where multiple dyno sheets have been posted showing 15-20rwhp gains from that intake. It's ugly, but apparently it works.

ramstein

Established Member
Interesting. I thought the ram air effect of Airaid duct would show some good gains at higher speeds. Thanks. I will look at JLT

scotmach

Established Member
The JLT requires a tune. The tune is where you would see the improvement, not the open element hot air intake.

gameovergt

Established Member
I just got the AIRAID AIT which replaces the stock tube and put a K&N in the stock airbox. IDK about hp gains but car sounds better! Didn't want the open element under the hood

Last edited:

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
Stock had me trapping 117-118 regularly on e85 and 116+ on 93 regularly with just a tune/drag radial 2015 A6 stock otherwise

Last edited:

SLO-SVT

Established Member
Interesting. I thought the ram air effect of Airaid duct would show some good gains at higher speeds. Thanks. I will look at JLT

I picked up a tenth at the track after installing the Airaid w/o a tune. I might pick up a PMAS in the future just to compare the two.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I went with JLT. I cant believe some will say theres no gains to be had with an intake but suddenly theyre in love with the PMAS. It must have been sprinkled with pixie dust.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I went with JLT. I cant believe some will say theres no gains to be had with an intake but suddenly theyre in love with the PMAS. It must have been sprinkled with pixie dust.

Hardly. The design of the PMAS is different than any other CAI on the market at the moment. Have you even read the posts from them about why it's different? The PMAS intake (though ugly) is shaped the way it is for a reason...and Mishimoto obviously figured out the same bit of science behind the PMAS setup because they have a pre-production intake tube that uses the stock airbox based on the same principle. Mishimoto is claiming 15/15 for their setup. The other CAI's look nice, but otherwise share the same intake piping design as the stock setup and the gains seen from them are almost all as a result of the tune that is required to go with them.

The PMAS design (and the Mishimoto apparently) resolve a pressure drop issue with the stock piping, and that's where the power gain comes from.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Hardly. The design of the PMAS is different than any other CAI on the market at the moment. Have you even read the posts from them about why it's different? The PMAS intake (though ugly) is shaped the way it is for a reason...and Mishimoto obviously figured out the same bit of science behind the PMAS setup because they have a pre-production intake tube that uses the stock airbox based on the same principle. Mishimoto is claiming 15/15 for their setup. The other CAI's look nice, but otherwise share the same intake piping design as the stock setup and the gains seen from them are almost all as a result of the tune that is required to go with them.

The PMAS design (and the Mishimoto apparently) resolve a pressure drop issue with the stock piping, and that's where the power gain comes from.

Sure, big pipe with filter makes 20whp on one car 0whp on the other due to some magical pressure drop resolution.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My vote is for PMAS. As Fishtail pointed out, the design of the PMAS is different than the rest and that's why in NO TUNE configuration independent tests have shown 15 rwhp gains. I have one on my personal car and I was trapping close to 115 with the stock air box and Lund Tune. On the same night at the track, I swapped the intake and ran over 118 mph. The other night I ran over 120 mph all in about the same DA (corrected MPH's are 117, 119 and 122 respectively to eliminate weather factors during the tests).

Here is my post after the initial results from the other forum:

Derek@Lethal said:
Hey everyone!

The topic of the PMAS intake has been very hot here lately. After looking into all the R&D that Nick put into this intake, I had to have one for my personal car. Nick was kind enough to send one down and I told him that I would do some unbiased testing and would post my results.

pmas_YUGE.jpg

My testing was done at the drag strip, Palm Beach International Raceway, this past Friday evening (7/29). The weather was disgusting, it had just finished raining about 2 hours before I arrived to the track, really warm and extremely humid (never mind that the track is located in the swaps of west Jupiter). I will share the actual track times and MPH but also give corrected track times and MPH to help take weather out of the equation. I personally don't put much stock into that, but I figure it would make things more fair.

My car is a 2012 Mustang GT, Manual trans w/ 3.31's and Brembos. Mods to the car are Lund 93 octane tune, 170* Reische thermostst, UPR oil separators and full JBA exhaust w/ H pipe (headers to tips). I ran the stock 19" Brembo wheel up front with a set of chrome 03 Cobra replica wheels out back with 315/35R17 Hoosier drag radials.

I ran the car in 3 different configurations and they are as follows:

-Lund Tune/Stock Intake
-Lund Tune/PMAS "No Tune" Intake (used the same tune as above config)
-Lund Tune/PMAS "Tune Req'd" Intake (installed stock MAF sensor and new Lund Tune)

All runs had consistent engine temps, starting at 181* and ending at about 197*. For this particular test, don't mind the ET so much (which will be improved on). The track was hooking really hard and I kept bogging even after raising launch RPM. I need to mess with the tire pressure (add air) to get it to run better but I didn't want to touch tire pressure as that can effect MPH, all runs were with 16 psi of air in the rear tires. This test is about horsepower so we are more concerned with MPH right now.

So, on with my results:

Run 1 (Lund Tune/Stock Intake)
Time- 7:35 pm
Temp- 87*
Humidity- 65%
Baro- 30.04
DA- 2037

60 foot- 1.80
ET- 12.013
MPH- 115.33

Corrected ET and MPH- [email protected]

Run 2 (Lund Tune/Stock Intake)
Time- 8:08 pm
Results- damn near identical to run #1, [email protected]

Run 3 (Lund Tune/PMAS "No Tune" Intake)
Time- 10:50pm
Temp- 83*
Humidity- 72%
Baro- 30.05
DA- 1769

60 foot- 1.767
ET- 11.854
MPH- 116.80

Run 4 (Lund Tune/PMAS "Tune Req'd" Intake)
Time- 11:30pm
Temp- 83*
Humidity- 74%
Baro- 30.05
DA- 1778

60 foot- 1.793 (spun then bogged)
ET- 11.903
MPH- 118.31

Personally, I am impressed with my results. The car ran really hard and I was surprised to see these trap speeds in the weather we had. So whether you like the actual results or the correct results, they both show a good increase in power. The "No Tune" set up looks to have gained 20 rwhp, but the "Tune Req'd" version looks to have added even more which is what I was probably the most surprised about. I logged all the runs but on the "No Tune" PMAS run, the nGauge froze and did not log that run so I cannot compare it to the "Tune Req'd" run :mad:

In closing, the intake makes power as advertised. If you already have a Lund tune, I recommend going with the "Tune Req'd" version and having him send you a revision, saves you $100 as well.

You can get your PMAS intakes from us at Lethal Performance for your S550 car either by itself or as part of our power packs featuring the nGauge or SCT X4.

No Tune kit
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pm...ocity-air-intake-system-no-tune-required.html

Tune Required kit
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pm...velocity-air-intake-system-tune-required.html

Power Pack
http://www.lethalperformance.com/le...-and-lund-racing-custom-tuned-programmer.html

If you guys have any questions regarding this intake, tuning or power packs, feel free to contact us!

:cheers:

It may not suit everyone in the terms of aesthetics, but for me, if it works that makes it pretty to me so this intake is VERY pretty IMO. :thumbsup:

No Tune kit
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pm...ocity-air-intake-system-no-tune-required.html

Tune Required kit
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pm...velocity-air-intake-system-tune-required.html

Power Pack
http://www.lethalperformance.com/le...-and-lund-racing-custom-tuned-programmer.html

Last edited:

ArabianOak

Established Member
My vote is for PMAS. As Fishtail pointed out, the design of the PMAS is different than the rest and that's why in NO TUNE configuration independent tests have shown 15 rwhp gains. I have one on my personal car and I was trapping close to 115 with the stock air box and Lund Tune. On the same night at the track, I swapped the intake and ran over 118 mph. The other night I ran over 120 mph all in about the same DA (corrected MPH's are 117, 119 and 122 respectively to eliminate weather factors during the tests).

Here is my post after the initial results from the other forum:

It may not suit everyone in the terms of aesthetics, but for me, if it works that makes it pretty to me so this intake is VERY pretty IMO. :thumbsup:

No Tune kit

Tune Required kit

Power Pack

Thanks Derek. Good talking to you this morning. Looking forward to getting the intake!

Users who are viewing this thread