What's the advantage of running a staggered wheel setup?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Normally it would be engineered that way to deal with differing weight distribution and need to have beefy rear tires to put down power-- like a Porsche, etc. Engineers tend to go smaller in front to prevent "tram lining" and make steering a little more communicative, as there is a lot of scrub when a 275 section tire is turned. In our cars, there is so much weight up front and oversteer that you can't make front any smaller. The only reason to make rear bigger is at drag strip, in my opinion. In reality, most people stagger just for looks when it comes to a Cobra.

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
PhillyCobra said:
Normally it would be engineered that way to deal with differing weight distribution and need to have beefy rear tires to put down power-- like a Porsche, etc. Engineers tend to go smaller in front to prevent "tram lining" and make steering a little more communicative, as there is a lot of scrub when a 275 section tire is turned. In our cars, there is so much weight up front and oversteer that you can't make front any smaller. The only reason to make rear bigger is at drag strip, in my opinion. In reality, most people stagger just for looks when it comes to a Cobra.

So are you saying that it would be bad to go any smaller up front? I ask because I was looking to go with a 18x8.5 for the front and 18x9.5 for the rear?

skunkt-u

Established Member
IMO!!!! I wouldnt run smaller than a 8" wide rim on the front on a daily driver.... It dosen't corner all that great with anything smaller... but if you are a straight line racer big and littles look sweet!!!!! :-D

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I don't think 8.5" front is not significantly smaller than stock 9.0", so I would say it's OK as long as you keep a 275/40/17 or 275/35/18 tire.

Last edited:

Hye

Established Member
PhillyCobra said:
I don't think 8.5" front is not significantly smaller than stock 9.0", so I would say it's OK as long as you keep a 275/40/17 or 275/35/18 tire.

exactly what i was thinking. just stick with a 275 on a 8.5" rim and you should be fine.

these stock 17X9's wheels up front sure are a pain in the you know what to turn at slow speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread