Whats pulling spark??

CJK440

Established Member
I'm a relatively new PRP user and have my first tune up and running.

Looking at my datalog, I am not seeing spark matching up to my borderline spark table. Its about 5-7 degrees lower than whats in my BSK table. Spark source is 2. Global spark adder is 0, multiplier is 1. Max Allowed spark table is above BSK table. Coolant and ACT during the log were well below where the modifiers come in to play.

I'm going thru all the spark variables in Advantage and can't seem to find whats coming into play here.

Thoughts?

Uglywolf

Established Member
Does your car have knock sensors? Can you log to see if they are pulling spark? On my 2008 it's Knock Sensor Adder, not sure on the '97.

I hope this helps!

MickeyD

Established Member
If this is the car in your signature, have you done an IMRC delete? Because they have a spark adder for the IMRC's in a separate section of the tune that may need to be changed or turned off depending on the set-up.

One other thing to try is to use the BDL for the MAX allowed and the MBT tables. typically the computer does use the lowest available timing and spark source 2 is for the BDL table but this ensures that no matter what table its pulling from it will use the spark mapping you want.

CJK440

Established Member
I have c heads and imrc's are turned off in the tune.

Are the normalizers for the max and mbt the same as the borderline?

Sent from my whiz bang pocket computer.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I have c heads and imrc's are turned off in the tune.

Are the normalizers for the max and mbt the same as the borderline?

MBT and Borderline tables should be the same because it pulls from the lowest one. Are you LLX3 or LLX4? I have the ability to see AMZ2 and LLX3 if you need me to take a look at it.

Last edited:

MickeyD

Established Member
wasn't looking at advantage before but when pulling up a code now the BDL and MAX allowed do have the same normalizers but the MBT does not. This was looking at an LLX4 box code, if yours is different it may be the same normalizers but typically this stuff is across the board for the year/model of Mustang in the coding.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
I have CCA1

BDL and MAX have the same normalizers. MBT is completely different. My Max table is all above the BSK except for some high rpm real light load situations which I obviously was not meeting at a WOT pull.

spark_zpsef8caac5.gif

CJK440

Established Member
At the top end of a 3rd gear pull I am seeing a max of 18 degrees at 6100 rpm and .804 load.

leegro1015

Established Member
I use advantage as well. And if I am not mistaken your MBT table should be the same as your max allowed. You may have to go in and renormalize the MBT table so it matches. Because if you look at your load area on the MBT your seeing the commanded timing. Don't forget that the timing is inferred between the load and rpm. Hope that helps

CJK440

Established Member
I use advantage as well. And if I am not mistaken your MBT table should be the same as your max allowed. You may have to go in and renormalize the MBT table so it matches. Because if you look at your load area on the MBT your seeing the commanded timing. Don't forget that the timing is inferred between the load and rpm. Hope that helps

Yeah, it looks that way, that mbt is what it's restricting timing. What does mbt do other than possibly restrict timing? Is it best to make all three identical?

leegro1015

Established Member
I would say yes. But you may want to back off of the timing a bit. It looks like you loaded the SCT Value file for 93octane W/O IMRC. Is that right?

CJK440

Established Member
I would say yes. But you may want to back off of the timing a bit. It looks like you loaded the SCT Value file for 93octane W/O IMRC. Is that right?

No, since I am running c heads, I took the 91 octane 99/01 file and since it has different normalizers, I did my best to approximate the values and adjust my 97 table.

CJK440

Established Member
Would it be best to change the mbt normalizers to match bsk and max and then make all three tables to match or leave the normalizers where they are and just bump up the mbt values slightly higher than the bsk so that the are "out of the equation"?

What else does mbt do?

Last edited:

MickeyD

Established Member
Looking at the normalizers it doesn't give enough range to change to make an exact match to the BDL and MAX tables. It would probably be best to just increase the MBT table to move it out of the way.

The MBT is a Max Brake Torque table used for optimizing torque within the tune. How this actually gets pulled into the bigger equation I'm not certain on but I know that the computer functions off of the lowest value available so increasing these above the BDL and MAX tables should take it out of the equation. When possible to using the same timing table for all three works great because this way you know your getting the timing you are requesting, minus any IAT and ECT adders and stuff.

watman02

Established Member
does anyone have a list of the Spark Source numbers and witch table the correlate too?

MickeyD

Established Member
CJK440 - Any luck with getting the timing to not be clipped or still having issues?

Users who are viewing this thread