What's proper prep/paint for used Cobra side skirts?

t_towner

Established Member
Just purchased the Cobra Side Skirting off Ebay...YEOUCH! :whine: (but glad to finally have it!)
Ebay Link

Now that they are coming.... what's the proper way to prep and paint the skirting? Can I bead blast the paint or will that jack with the plastic? Or should I just scuff and shoot assuming there's not 15 layers of paint.... or do I need to sand them completely down to base?

What do I repaint them with? Do I need a flex agent, or just prime and paint?

The left side currently on the car has a couple chips so I'm going to take it off and install the newly painted pair. It's black so I don't want paint to flake at 125mph or in the car wash!

Thanks!!

PJM99

Established Member
You should be safe with media blasting. Chemical strippers will probably warp them. I would also reccommend a flex agent.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I wouldn't sandblast them - you could easily pit/ruin them if you aren't careful. Walnut shell media may even be too hard for them.

Assuming the paint on them is in good shape, I would simply scuff them up, sand out any imperfections, then do a base/clearcoat.

Quite honestly, with the questions you are asking, I would suggest giving them to a shop to prep and spray. It shouldn't cost very much to get them to do it. After all, you just dropped some serious coin on them, why go cheap on the prep/paint?

Something else to keep in mind is the white paint that is on them. Simply spraying black over the white is OK, until you start getting chips - a chip in the black will expose the white, making every little paint chip look bigger that it really is.

lone sailor

Established Member
I prefer wet sanding myself, but everyone has their own methods of doing things. I would not use bead or media blasting on the body kit, it's too weak for that.

t_towner

Established Member
I lucked out! The guy actually has two sets of Cobra side skirts. He's going to keep the white ones I acutually purchased and send me the pair that have have previously been sanded and prep'd w/ flex primer/sealer. :banana:

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
t_towner said:
I lucked out! The guy actually has two sets of Cobra side skirts. He's going to keep the white ones I acutually purchased and send me the pair that have have previously been sanded and prep'd w/ flex primer/sealer. :banana:

Dang!! I seriously want to shake your hand just so that some of your luck will pass to me. You've landed a great deal on the car and now this. It is just meant to be for you. Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread