whats policy on seatbelt enforcement in your area?

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
i noticed since the beginning of the summer when tourism picks up there were quite a few checkpoints for this.it seems like a big money maker for the state.not looking for opinions on weather you should wear them or not just wondering how strict they are about it.

i admit i dont wear mine alot except at work and the local police dont bother me.i know state troopers appear big on enforcing this.any officers in here are you strict about this?any pressure from your bosses to enforce this?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
In NJ there is a push on enforcing the seat belt law. The troopers are at toll plazas all the time. There is Federal Highway Dollars at stake if enforcement isnt complied with.

Again this is another law officers dont necessarily like but they must enforce as part of thier job and assignment.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Really never seen anything like that in las vegas. Don't want to mess with the tourist

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
IN pa you can be cited for not wearing your seatbelt, only if you are pulled over for something else.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
On a regular basis, a seatbelt violation may not be top priority, but when we receive a Federal Grant (Click It Or Ticket), enforcement becomes almost "zero" tolerance. And yes, we do show tourist a little more leniency (Its all about the $$$)

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by hillie16
IN pa you can be cited for not wearing your seatbelt, only if you are pulled over for something else.

We had that law, but now the seat belt infraction is reason enough to pull someone over! Rarely does a person get yanked for the seat belt infraction, it is the "go to" ticket when one has to be issued but the officer wants to utilize some discretion.

Ginsu

Established Member
Summer time and vacation means more traffic hence "click it or ticket". Also more traffic means more accidents and it is proven a seatbelt will more than likely save your life or reduce the potential for injury. And of course as someone already said, the state gets federal money.

DEADEYE

Banned
It's a $25 fine down here in La. I don't go out looking for seatbelt violations but no child restraints will get you a ticket. That's about $125 if I'm not mistaken.

nj7703

Established Member
I was stopped late one night a few years back, he could not see i had my seatbelt on with my black shirt. Stopped me, saw it blended well, sent me on my way, was no big deal. I kind of like the idea of them being tough on it. I lost a couple of friends that may have not died had they had on their sealbelts. It's a no brainer, and the law.

CraneClan

Injun along at 140
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
We had that law, but now the seat belt infraction is reason enough to pull someone over!
Yup, that's the way it is in Michigan also.They can now stop you for just the belt. Haven't seen it happen yet though. But most of us have worn seatbelts since it was a secondary offense. Now that we're used to it, why take a chance?

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
not sure what the fine is but just last year here in VA they can pull you over if they see you not wearing a seatbelt just like they can if your speeding.

xprm311x

Established Member
around here (batavia, NY) I've only seen it used as an excuse to pull someone over for another reason... like "suspicious activity". For example if you look a little young and you're out drivin at night around here, if you dont have your seatbelt on, it's just like tint around here, they'll use it to pull you over to check to see if you're supposed to be driving. Although I once accidently ran a stop sign (didnt notice it till it was too late, and the suburban doesnt exactly stop on a dime) and after some pleading (just got done with court the day before for a speeding ticket) the officer reduced it to a seatbelt ticket.

stevieb

Established Member
In Calif they can now stop and ticket you for not wearing a belt, even if its a passenger. The passenger gets the ticket unless they are a minor then the driver gets the ticket. I heard the fine is $100 for first offense.

RedfireCobra

Established Member
I find it humorous that they can pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt in Michigan, but people yik-yak all day long on the cell phone while driving

I guess they will be OK after they crash because they have their seatbelt on. :rolleyes:

bskinner

In louisiana we are pushing seatbelts more than ive ever seen it before. they are televising local law enforcement with state police telling the public to wear their seatbelt or be cited. And believe it or not fatality wrecks and DWIs have sky rocketed

SilverOH3SVT

Jettai Master/Texas LEO
Established Member
Here In Texas we promote the "Click it or Ticket" program. It's a good program, and most drivers now wear the seatbelts. Not a bad thing, ya know?

RRTX

Established Member
I always wear my seatbelt. I don't understand what the deal is about not wearing one though, if motorcyclist's can ride without a helmet why can't people drive a car without a seatbelt?

NJhardc0re

Established Member
i hate NJ...we have strict laws on everything..no front window tint, must wear seatbelt, have to wear helmets,no accelerating through a yellow, no cell phones while driving. it blows

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Mandatory use here; it's the law.

I like wearing my seat belt, though. I feel severely naked without it, even if I roll through the drive-thru at the bank with it off.

Users who are viewing this thread