What's needed to convert a vortech aftercooler kit to intercooled?

00stang37

Established Member
Do anyone know what is needed to change a vortech supercharger kit from an aftercooled set up with an 03/04 cobra heat exchanger to an air to air intercooled set up? I've heard intercoolers are better suited for a daily driver. Would it be worth the money to switch over?

Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
My opinion has always been the air to air is good for a daily driver and/or autocrosser. The air to water is good for the strip because you can use ice to bring the temps way down.

I have an air to air on my car and never had problems. I'm usually a few degrees above ambient when pushing it hard.

You're best bet might be picking up a universal pipe kit and a good intercooler and set it up that way. You'll have to reclock the blower. I imagine once you sell everything for the after cooler you'll at least be even if not a few bucks up.

Adiabatik

Banned
Look into CXRacing and google CXRacing mustang intercooler. There are quite a few Vortech guys running their IC stuff. I looked into Vortech before deciding on Procharger, the deciding factor for me was that I wanted an A2A setup and not an A2W. I don't know why Vortech hasn't released an A2A IC.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Op you would need to sell your aftercooler kit and then just get some universal piping and a intercooler. Ive heard to stay away from cxracing and go treadstone. I was running a aftercooler but I made the switch also. I picked up a universal pipe kit off ebay and a treadstone intercooler.

00stang37

Established Member
What is the better set up as far as the intercooler? I havent measured yet so idk what size i need and what that limits me to for choices but are vertical or horizontal intercoolers better? If I remember correctly the vertical's lose less boost i think.

Also anyone know a typical range of price for the aftercooler set up? Ive never seen one used for sale or just havent payed attention so i dont have a clue how much i would get for it.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
They both have their pros and cons but I switched for tuning purposes. I was able to hit 600rwhp with my aftercooler setup and some others on here have also. I picked up a trv25 vertical treadstone intercooler. Yes youre correct that verticals lose less boost but horizontals cool better.(not saying verticals are bad at cooling). Whats best for YOU depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your setup in the end. I would google/search mustang treadstone blowthru and you should see alot of info, pics, and questions with answers for you.

As far as selling I sold my aftercooler setup for $500. I have to ask though, why do you want to change to air/air?

Last edited:

00stang37

Established Member
Ive heard that the ait to air are better suited for the street. The kit isnt on the car yet so I was debating on getting the intercooler set up or running the aftercooler. I dont really go to the track and its a daily driver on the nice days. Ive always liked the look of the front mounts also and it would fill the saleen bumber better than the heat exchanger

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
650rwhp on 16/17psi through a aftercooled T-trim here.. Plan on a 22psi tune in the next couple months too.. It works for me on street driving, track, etc..

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Ive heard that the ait to air are better suited for the street. The kit isnt on the car yet so I was debating on getting the intercooler set up or running the aftercooler. I dont really go to the track and its a daily driver on the nice days. Ive always liked the look of the front mounts also and it would fill the saleen bumber better than the heat exchanger

Well the supercharged lightnings, 03/04 cobra, and 07-14 gt500's all use air/water and alot of them only see the street im sure. If you upgrade the heat exchanger not only will it fill your bumper up like you want but youll also get better cooling. 98saleen has a saleen bumber on his cobra with an aftermarket heat exchanger that fills it up nicely. Im sure he will have no problems posting pics for you.

Last edited:

stangbanger856

Established Member
98Saleencobra convinced me to sell my A2A and go with a moded Vortech Aftercooler setup. I ditched the stock heat exchanger that came with it and did what 98Saleen did but used a stock 03-04 cobra heat exchanger for now. I have a stock 97 Cobra bumper and it fills it out just fine and almost looks stock.

Users who are viewing this thread