Whats needed for center mounted alternator?

00saleens281

Established Member
what is needed to position the alternator in front a sullivan intake manifold? im switching from a 2v to a 4v and have an 03 cobra timing cover as well. would the 2v alternator work or need a cobra one? what brackets are needed as well and anything else i will need to know. Thanks

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The 03 Cobra timing cover has the bracket on the drivers side. You will need the now discontinued relocation bracket or the much easier to get mach/99-01 cover. Or you could make your own bracket. If you use the 99/01 timing cover you can use a 99/01 alt.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
You do not have to get rid of the 03/04 Cobra timing cover when going to the center mounted alternator. The cover has nothing to do with mounting the alternator when running a center mounted one. It only matters if you are using an 03/04 Cobra alternator.

With that being said. You can run a 99/01 Cobra or Mach1 alternator with an 03/04 Cobra timing cover, or a 99/01 Cobra or Mach timing cover. The center mounted alternator bolts to the front of the block, not the cover.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
You do not have to get rid of the 03/04 Cobra timing cover when going to the center mounted alternator. The cover has nothing to do with mounting the alternator when running a center mounted one. It only matters if you are using an 03/04 Cobra alternator.

With that being said. You can run a 99/01 Cobra or Mach1 alternator with an 03/04 Cobra timing cover, or a 99/01 Cobra or Mach timing cover. The center mounted alternator bolts to the front of the block, not the cover.

The 03/04 timing cover has a provision to mount the alt on the side and it got me sidetracked. Yes you can reuse it, to correct my statement you need the 99/01 mach "alt bracket". The second part of saying timing cover is a typo. The rest of the comment is true. The upper mounts of the alt attach at the bracket. So, while you are correct in proving me wrong you still didn't supply any actual info.

To op, you will NEED an upper alt bracket. The bracket is discontinued. So you can make your own or track down a used one. I called it a cover and I don't know why.

00saleens281

Established Member
so to to get it set up similar to the one below i will need an 01 cobra or mach 1 type of alternator? and a 01 cobra alt bracket like the on shown below?

engine_zps1019a5cf.jpg

$_35.JPG

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
So, while you are correct in proving me wrong you still didn't supply any actual info.

I am not trying to "prove you wrong" I was just providing correct information. As far as I did not provide any actual info, actually yes I did. I clearly stated that an 03/04 Cobra timing cover will work since the 99/01 Cobra and Mach1 alternators bolt to the block, not the cover. I do not know what your beef is with me or why you feel you have to try to argue with me on threads that I reply in that you are also in? I guess the thread where you were calling me "Ed Jr." still bothering you?

Furthermore, he does NOT need the 99/01 Cobra upper alternator bracket at all since he is running s Sullivan intake. That bracket you are talking about only bolts to a 99/01 Cobra or Mach1 intake. It will not work with a Sullivan.

So his choices are.

A. Run no upper alternator bracket. Most guys with Sullivan intakes do not run an upper bracket, which can be seen in OP's pic of Nicks TT car above. I never run them on my builds and never had an issue. You will see some slight flex on the alternator under heavy load but nothing that is concerning

or.

B. Fab an upper bracket. But I will state it again. The 99/01 Cobra and Mach1 Upper alternator bracket will not work on a Sullivan.

so to to get it set up similar to the one below i will need an 01 cobra or mach 1 type of alternator? and a 01 cobra alt bracket like the on shown below?

engine_zps1019a5cf.jpg

$_35.JPG

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I have no issue with you. Just annoying when you attempted to call me out instead of offer help. It said nowhere in his post he had a sullivan. If he has a sullivan then just make your own.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I have no issue with you. Just annoying when you attempted to call me out instead of offer help. It said nowhere in his post he had a sullivan. If he has a sullivan then just make your own.
Sorry man, it just seemed like you had some beef with me with your reply. My original reply was not to call you out, that was not the intention. Just to correct the info that is all. The first line in his post states it is for a Sullivan. Unless he at one point edited it, after your reply, I do not know. I am not sure if this new forum format shows when a post gets edited like the old style forum does.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Sorry man, it just seemed like you had some beef with me with your reply. My original reply was not to call you out, that was not the intention. Just to correct the info that is all. The first line in his post states it is for a Sullivan. Unless he at one point edited it, after your reply, I do not know. I am not sure if this new forum format shows when a post gets edited like the old style forum does.
I have the flu and 104 degree fever the last few days. It's very very possible that it said it all along and I never saw it. My bad.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
You don't necessarily have to run it up top. I reverse mounted my 03/04 alternator making my own brackets. I bought a Sullivan alternator relocation bracket (which I need to put up for sale if you're interested in it), but it wouldn't work with the headers we fabbed up.

00saleens281

Established Member
You don't necessarily have to run it up top. I reverse mounted my 03/04 alternator making my own brackets. I bought a Sullivan alternator relocation bracket (which I need to put up for sale if you're interested in it), but it wouldn't work with the headers we fabbed up.

I'm not sure if that will work for my set up either. Will be running forward facing headers for twin turbos.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Users who are viewing this thread