What's my used TR6060 Trans worth?

builttodrive

Established Member
I am swapping in a new Tremec Magnum XL into my 07 and would like to sell my stock Tr6060. It has a little over 40k miles on it and I suspect it needs a rebuild as you could feel a little something off while coasting at very slow speeds. A local speed shop looked at it and they think I caught it early and it probably has a bearing going out but we drained the fluid in it and it came out red and clean with no metallic. I don't want to store it and would like to sell it. What should I ask for it?

HKusp

Established Member
With the possibility of it being damaged, I would think maybe $750-$1000. Calimer can save it, but their stage 1 rebuild starts at $1800 plus any damaged parts.

builttodrive

Established Member
With the possibility of it being damaged, I would think maybe $750-$1000. Calimer can save it, but their stage 1 rebuild starts at $1800 plus any damaged parts.
I talked to him and he thought it could be a bearing. Since there was no catastrophic event and fluid looked clean it's likely a simple fix in a rebuild. I thought about having him rebuild it but he had no cores at the time and I was eventually talked into go to the Magnum XL.

builttodrive

Established Member
The Magnum XL was an upgrade I was eyeing when I still had my GT500. I don't think you went wrong there.
I'm hoping I like it and it works well in the car. It was definitely more expensive to go that route but it seemed to make sense from what I was told.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I love my Magnum XL.
Just glad I don’t have to wear one anymore.
Can’t go wrong with direct mount shifter and SFI bell.
Which ratios you thinking?
Trans is worth about $1000
-J

builttodrive

Established Member
I love my Magnum XL.
Just glad I don’t have to wear one anymore.
Can’t go wrong with direct mount shifter and SFI bell.
Which ratios you thinking?
Trans is worth about $1000
-J
lol. Yeah those were some definite pro's. I went with the wide ratio closest to stock. Are you running a magnum XL?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
lol. Yeah those were some definite pro's. I went with the wide ratio closest to stock. Are you running a magnum XL?
Yes 2.66 first and a 4.0 rear gear.
Great upgrade. Selling a stock super low mi TR6060 basically paid for it.
The case and even if the trans is a bit worn is worth it to a guy swapping on a budget.
You’ll love the Magnum.
-J

builttodrive

Established Member
Yes 2.66 first and a 4.0 rear gear.
Great upgrade. Selling a stock super low mi TR6060 basically paid for it.
The case and even if the trans is a bit worn is worth it to a guy swapping on a budget.
You’ll love the Magnum.
-J
Hopefully I didn't go wrong with the 2.97 ratio trans. I have 3.73's in the rear. Is yours in a GT500? did you do anything to cover the big hole in the trans where the shifter comes through? The original seal and plate were too far back now.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully I didn't go wrong with the 2.97 ratio trans. I have 3.73's in the rear. Is yours in a GT500? did you do anything to cover the big hole in the trans where the shifter comes through? The original seal and plate were too far back now.
The 2.97/3.73 is a better combo for many, I’d say for street pulls and especially launching on bias ply tires.
Yes mine is in a ‘14 GT500 and I was used to the 2.66 stock first plus stronger for my power level.
Use some sticky sound deadener but make sure to get the high heat.
-J

builttodrive

Established Member
The 2.97/3.73 is a better combo for many, I’d say for street pulls and especially launching on bias ply tires.
Yes mine is in a ‘14 GT500 and I was used to the 2.66 stock first plus stronger for my power level.
Use some sticky sound deadener but make sure to get the high heat.
-J
Yeah it still seemed like a good drag combo on slicks for me. I'm at 700 RWHP now but I will probably be content in that range with this car. I ended up buying a mustang GT rubber lower boot that supposedly fits the hole correctly and seals to the shifter so hopefully thats good.

cobrarob

Established Member
Looking to do the same magnum xl upgrade on my 11’. Is their a kit you have to get to fit our cars?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes there is a complete Magnum XL s197 conversion kit that includes SFI bellhousing and crossmember. I still have a DSS carbon fiber driveshaft for an XL to 8.8” for S197s.
Great upgrade.
-J

cobrarob

Established Member
Thanks for reply. Also Regarding the Speedo and reverse is our stock harness a direct plug in or is their a kit also you have to buy?
If buy chance you have a link..thanks Rob

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Looking to do the same magnum xl upgrade on my 11’. Is their a kit you have to get to fit our cars?
I did the Modern Driveline kit (MDL) on my 13gt. It was a complete kit, nicely put together. The only part that I bought on my own was the clutch.

builttodrive

Established Member
So for my 07 I was told I needed pigtail harnesses or a gps module I believe. I opted to get the pigtail harnesses that I didn't need. All that was needed was to extend the one harness. One thing I didn't see was that with the different shifter setup the new shifter will be in a slightly different location in the tunnel and a 2005-2014 mustang GT rubber boot will be required to seal the hole up properly. Now that I have 100 miles or so on the trans I can give a small amount of feedback. It shifts nice and overall I think it feels tighter and quieter. However lugging in 4th gear is noisy. It's the only gear I notice it in but it's loud. I'm told it's normal by others but my TR6060 didn't do that.

Last edited:

cobrarob

Established Member
So for my 07 I was told I needed pigtail harnesses or a gps module I believe. I opted to get the pigtail harnesses that I didn't need. All that was needed was to extend the one harness. One thing I didn't see was that with the different shifter setup the new shifter will be in a slightly different location in the tunnel and a 2005-2014 mustang GT rubber boot will be required to seal the hole up properly. Now that I have 100 miles or so on the trans I can give a small amount of feedback. It shifts nice and overall I think it feels tighter and quieter. However lugging in 4th gear is noisy. It's the only gear I notice it in but it's loud. I'm told it's normal by others but my TR6060 didn't do that.
Thanks man for feedback. Was going back and forth and decide on oem tranny from Ford and will be adding a cooler to it. I’ve been road racing since 16’, so knock on wood it held up quite well
Thanks Rob

builttodrive

Established Member
Thanks man for feedback. Was going back and forth and decide on oem tranny from Ford and will be adding a cooler to it. I’ve been road racing since 16’, so knock on wood it held up quite well
Thanks Rob
I don't know if you could go wrong either way. The previous owner of my car road raced it very hard and had over 30k on the trans. I put about 10k street miles on it at a bit higher HP level. He did however have to have the stock trans replaced at around 7k do to a failure road racing. I put some more miles on mine this weekend and I'm really liking it and it seems like the trans is wearing in and it's working even better.

Users who are viewing this thread