Whats MAF? And "WOT" .. also other questions.

Austin_9819

Established Member
Stupid question I know, just want to learn as much as I possibly can before I go to an automotive school (Ford ASSET) so I can be ahead when I get there.. but what exactly does a MAF do? and why do you need one?

What do people mean when they say "WOT" and "OP"?

Also what are considered Bolt ons?

I hate asking these questions because I know there's always that one guy that talks crap lol but this is the only way I'm going to learn besides school because I don't have any friends/family that's into the car world unfortunately :/

All answers are welcomed :^)

torrey

Established Member
Wot is wide open throttle. My supercharger at WOT screams like a monkey getting raped
Maf is mass air flow, is the sensor just past the air filter

robert presti

Established Member
Maf

Stupid question I know, just want to learn as much as I possibly can before I go to an automotive school (Ford ASSET) so I can be ahead when I get there.. but what exactly does a MAF do? and why do you need one?

What do people mean when they say "WOT" and "OP"?

Also what are considered Bolt ons?

I hate asking these questions because I know there's always that one guy that talks crap lol but this is the only way I'm going to learn besides school because I don't have any friends/family that's into the car world unfortunately :/

You don't really need a MAF. The car will run better with one considering all air density and temperature changes. On some cars with a dirty MAF you might unplug it and find the car runs better without it, because it goes to a table for the values. That said the load with fail mass airflow table doesn't account for any modifications, or bolt on parts . When a car is altered to a point a new tune should be made to deal with the failed MAF otherwise if it fails the engine will as well.

As others said bolt on parts will vary.:bored:

All answers are welcomed :^)
Hope this helps

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
Was a Ford master tech for 8 years, nothing else id rather work I don't know if any dealerships around you do it but look for a straight apprentice program I know that's what asset program partly does 6 months in school and 6 under a master tech save you some money, but not time that program gets you through it quick. Have fun and enjoy it and try to remember FIRTFT fix it right the first time and you ll be good. p.s. your gona learn real fast on warranty write ups to cover yourself and how to talk a good game to get paid sucks at first, good luck

Users who are viewing this thread