what's it take to trap mid 140's in these cobras?

1mean03

I'm new to these cars, but not to racing. I've got a guy here locally w/a turbo C5 that traps mid 140's and i was wondering what it'd take and if it's possible to build something that can blow his doors off, especially in a roll race. I've been planning on the hellion setup for awhile now, but don't know if that will get the job done. I talked to hpp up in dallas the other day for a bit and will probably have them do all the work. I'm pretty sure this vette is making right at 800rwhp. From what I've seen, it usually takes about 100rwhp more to take out the lighter C5's. Some help for the new '03 cobra owner...I'm coming from a 9sec. f-body 408ci. n20 setup btw. thanks--clint

baldNittos04

Established Member
Blowing his doors off may be tough. Any car that car trap 140+ is hard to catch from a roll since most of the time these high HP cars are traction limited. sure it's possible, just depends how much you want to spend. I would simply say look into a built engine and a lot of boost and or nitrous! id look into more of a custom turbo kit for single or twins if youve got the cash :coolman: .

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
Well, Palugi ran 143mph with 811rwhp through a 6 speed...I'd imagine 900rwhp might net you high 140's...that vette will be strong/tough to beat

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
702lightning said:
Option A

Built Motor KB and alot of N20

Option B

Built Motor Turbo SEtup and alot of boost
I am looking at your sig...

What blower are you going to use to make that much power?

1mean03

blk04cobra1 said:
Well, Palugi ran 143mph with 811rwhp through a 6 speed...I'd imagine 900rwhp might net you high 140's...that vette will be strong/tough to beat

that's pretty stout for only 811rwhp. Did he lighten the car up quite a bit?

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
C H I N I said:
yea he had a solid and a teksid block i think

He had a SRA but the motor was bone stock, I don't even think it was opened yet as far as the longblock goes. He didn't have much for weight reduction, he just did what very few can do, drive it how it should be driven.

TRBO VNM

2003Slobra said:
He had a SRA but the motor was bone stock, I don't even think it was opened yet as far as the longblock goes. He didn't have much for weight reduction, he just did what very few can do, drive it how it should be driven.

+1. Mike is a great guy. I have talked to him a few times. I wish he would post more.

thnktwce

YES!! I am!!
Established Member
but what is the purpose in trapping 140 when your still in the 10's? No pun intended, but why does so many people car about trap speeds?

1mean03

thnktwce said:
but what is the purpose in trapping 140 when your still in the 10's? No pun intended, but why does so many people car about trap speeds?

trap speeds show how much power a car really has. Plus it shows how good someone would do racing on the street where traction is limited. The street is the great equalizer. a car running 9.7's at 137 can get beat(if racing on the street) by a car that runs 10.5's at 143 because most likely they'll both spin on the street and the car trapping higher mph obviously would have the advantage, especially from a roll race.

Users who are viewing this thread