Whats it like to ride in a high 10 second car?

bandit_48032

Established Member
This summer I had the chance to ride in a 98 Procharged Trans Am with a full bolt on exhaust, with a cam. Before the cam he ran 11.7 in the 1/4. But when I went for a ride in it, without the pedal even to the floor....I had the feeling like I was either jumping out of a plane or going down an extremely steep rolercoaster? :xpl: Is this a normal feeling for a car running these times? How many of you guys get the dropping out of an airplane feeling when you go WOT? It was freakin awesome! :rockon:

I can't even imagine what it's like to ride in a 10 second car! It must feel like you're at NASA blasting off into space!

Common

Established Member
If you're a passanger it always seems faster then it does to the driver, being a passenger in a 10sec will make your stomach feel weird and you might not catch a breath, it all depends HOW hard he takes of and is it a flat 10sec car or 10.8.......10.9, the difference is HUUUGE.

slo-GT

Established Member
one of my best friends has a 500+rwhp 96 cobra....its awesome when he punches it......i can only imagine what its like in something else thats much faster.

Last edited:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The sad truth is you can get used to any power level. I've driven cars which ran >150 MPH in the 1/4, and they feel awesomely fast at first, but after some acclimation they just feel... quick.

Cobra_Swartz

Banned
^+1

Passengers always feel the power more than the driver does. I used to think my dad's stock GT was really fast, but after a while it just felt "quick" as treynor said. The only thing I would highly suggest is that you don't ride in a car much faster than yours, because when you get back in your car you feel like less of a person lol. I can't even describe what it felt like when I drove home in a V6 Explorer after my boss let me take out a 1300rwhp Blown 71' 454 El Camino w/ methanol injection and a huge shot of nitrous. It was fun, but then I realized that I was driving home in a V6 Explorer lol.

bandit_48032

Established Member
Cobra_Swartz said:
^+1

Passengers always feel the power more than the driver does. I used to think my dad's stock GT was really fast, but after a while it just felt "quick" as treynor said. The only thing I would highly suggest is that you don't ride in a car much faster than yours, because when you get back in your car you feel like less of a person lol. I can't even describe what it felt like when I drove home in a V6 Explorer after my boss let me take out a 1300rwhp Blown 71' 454 El Camino w/ methanol injection and a huge shot of nitrous. It was fun, but then I realized that I was driving home in a V6 Explorer lol.

haha ya....I had a new appreciation for how quick my Crown Victoria scoots after I had the pedal to the medal in our rescue rig at the fire department which feels like a pedal bike at WOT. Anything felt like a rocket ship after that!

But the guy's car that I went for a ride in....holy smokes....It felt like I was dropped off a cliff when he got on it. I'm glad I finally sold my Formula...I just need to figure out what I'm gonna jump into next. But whatever it is, I want that gut quenching feeling in my stomach when I can eventually get on it with my own car. :banana:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
The feeling of having no control while being a passenger plays a big part too. My car makes over 500 to the rears but I feel in control when I'm at WOT. On the other hand my friend's Pro-charged GT makes close to 400 and is slower than mine but when I'm a passenger in his car I'm terrified when he's at WOT.

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
i've been in a 600+ rwhp whippled cobra and it was pretty intense to say the least, i can only imagine on slicks from a dig

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I scared the crap out of a buddy of mine in my 66 chevyII who was a crazy pilot that did crop dusting.

Every time I mashed it he pulled the 5 pt harness tighter.
It never felt that strong to me.
went 9.90s at 134 I agree it feels stronger in the passanger seat.

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
I rode in my buddy's supra. He is pushing like 600-650hp, depending on how many pounds he runs. Scared the shit outta me at 15lbs. Went to put mickey thompson DRs on and really scared me at 25lbs. Those cars are crazy fast and strong. Made my Mach feel like a turd with wheels.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I've actually never ridden in a super fast car. Fastest is my friend's head/cam corvette that was probably making around 430hp. The sound of it was completely amazing, almost like riding in a NASCAR car. Pulled like hell, but I'm sure a 600hp cobra would be 10x better. Besides, my car makes about 400hp now so I gotta ride in something way faster to get that scared feeling.

I've done 65 on a wave runner in slightly choppy water. My parents got one recently and in a few months, I've already gotten used to going about 50 on the water. When I rode a friends', it was a newer 4-stroke, fuel injected model and was just fast. I couldn't imagine riding one of the turbo Hondas. 65 seems way faster on water than on land.

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
Most powerful car I've ever went for a ride in was somwhere in the area of 1300hp. It was a Drag Radial car with a huge turbo. The owner wanted to take it for a quick spin after dyno tuning and I went with. Car felt savage, but just spun the tires, even at low boost settings. Not really fun.

Fastest car i experienced was a 92 coupe with a dart block 408, T76 turbo, and TKO trans. This car was a street/strip car and was making in the neighborhood of 700hp. The big engine could spool the turbo fairly quickly and this car pulled so hard. When it would come into boost you would be pinned against the seat and literaly unable to move.

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
my cobra made 580rwhp/680rwtq on nitrous and trapped just under 130mph in the 1/4 and i was used to it. it just felt quick to me until i let a friend drive it while i was in the passenger seat. then i realized why everyone used to shit their pants when i went wot

Adower

Established Member
I havent rode in any really fast cars. However, when I had my 636 I got to ride a buddies hayabusa. I only did a real quick 3rd gear pull. But man, it made my 636 feel way inferior.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I've driven a Lightning with 488rwhp/620rwtq, and it was plenty fun, but now crazy compared to riding in a car with a similar power/weight ratio. The fastest car I ever rode in that actually got its muscle flexed was an 06 Saleen S281E vert with mods putting down 557/540 at the wheels. It was NUTS.

Users who are viewing this thread