Whats happening to my car, When I hit 3rd (engine goes limp mode)?? Why???

VeNoMiZeD

Established Member
Hey everybody,

Well I was at the track yesterday. This problem that I will describe has happened 3 times total. 2 yesterday, and 1 on a previous track day. It only happens from 2nd to 3rd shift, as soon as Im in 3rd gear, and my gas pedal is to the floor. The engine goes limp and my supercharger sounds limp. Even though my gas pedal is to the floor. I stayed on it for a couple of seconds the first two times, but released it after and coasted down the track. Yesterday on the 3rd time, I was on it for a 3 seconds and immediately changed it to 4th and everything was fine back to normal.

What could be happening? On my first time, I had asked this guy I was talking to, becuase he asked me what my times were. He basically said, my car probably retard the timing, because basically the engine at that point in time, being the weather, the shift and the readings, didnt like it, and basically brought my car in limp mode, so that it wouldnt ruin the the engine? Is this true?

My mods are in my sig.

By the way, my 2nd to 3rd gear has been a problem for me to make at times. Im definetly getting a shifter. I have the upr triple hook and extreme firewall adjuster. But still have the same problem. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd when racing at the track, it either lodges into something (not sure what) and I have to pull it out and when I try again, it does the same thing. So I usually coast it down the track. But when I exit off the track and make sure my 3rd gear still works, everything goes in smootly.

Hopefully the shifter finally solves this problem!!! Thanks

Last edited:

VeNoMiZeD

Established Member
Boost dump?
I thought that last less then a second. Mine last while Im on it, until I realease it out of gear.

Traction control?
Is off

FRPS?
Not sure on that one, But I went down the track a couple more times and everything was normal again

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

It's not the FPS. When it goes, the car will not run. It can fail without bursting the diaphragm. If it bursts the diaphragm, fuel will get in your vacuum lines.

If it dumps boost, the dump will hold for a few seconds before releasing.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Could you have bumped the rev limiter?
That could cause the problem.

Do you have a shift light or aftermarket tach?
Don't rely on the factory tach to shift as it can fall way behind by the time you get to 6200.

Dana

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
Hate to say it, but sounds simply like as if you're getting into the rev limiter on your 2-3 upshift. Try short-shifting 2-3 at 5500rpms and see if that way you can at least make a full pass.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
At what point are you shifting? I have found that anything more then 6400 my car hits a dip even power shifting. Feels like it dies for a second then pics right up in a split second. Try shifting at 6200-6300 rpm's. That worked for me.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
By the way, my 2nd to 3rd gear has been a problem for me to make at times. Im definetly getting a shifter. I have the upr triple hook and extreme firewall adjuster. But still have the same problem. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd when racing at the track, it either lodges into something (not sure what) and I have to pull it out and when I try again, it does the same thing. So I usually coast it down the track. But when I exit off the track and make sure my 3rd gear still works, everything goes in smootly.

My car did this the first day I had it. The shifter would go into what felt like 3rd but the transmission was in neutral and I had to use to hands to pull it back out., then put it back in third and everthing was fine. It wasn't a problem until just recently. It was starting to do this all the time. Last month I pulled the trans out and went through it and found a few minnor things in the shift mechanisims bent. I rebuilt it and it shifts great. I see your in the bay area. Are you going to be out at the event next week at Seramonte Ford?

numbaonestunna

Established Member
I have the EXACT same problem... on the 2-3 shift, the car will BIG TIME hestiate sometimes.... and won't go anywhere. It's the weirdest thing, and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on, since I'm basically stock (steeda cai, and magnaflow) I have the pro 5.0 and I've checked the stop bolts and I KNOW I'm in gear, but it just hesitates after the 2-3 shift... Pisses me off!

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
hmm do you smell the clutch? maybe the clutch is slipping for some reason (although you would think it would slip in other gears as well).

mine seemed to do that until I got a firewall adjuster and quadrant. once i adjusted it just right it stopped doing it.

now i hesitate in second cause the tires are spinning lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread