Whats a good track helmet

04SVTF

Established Member
SimpsonOutlawWHITE%5B1%5D.jpg

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Simpson Super Voyager. Ordered direct, they have color options and also came with a free bag.

si5.jpg

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I'm looking to get an all black suit with a black full-face helmet.

I'll be the black stig...standing at the staging lanes waiting with my arms crossed.

edit: Holy crap @ those alpinestar suits! soo expensive...but they are amazing compared to the others I've seen.

I might actually cough up the extra cash and get a suit from them. I figure its a one time purchase...and can last me for many years to come.

If I owned one that fit really crappy and didn't look right, it would bother me to no end.

Last edited:

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
You do NOT need to spend a lot of money on a helmet in order to have very good safety. Any 2010 Snell or ECE certified helmet will be just fine. If there is a big motorcycle dealership near you, they will have a good selection. A Z1R helmet is just a little over $125, and has great ratings for safety.

Suit, on the otherhand, don't skip out on that....

drudis

Established Member
>...A Z1R helmet is just...

I disagree. Some events (mine included) I wont let you pass tech with and M-motorcycle or DOT helmet. You must have a SNELL SA-00 or SA-05 approved helmet to get on the track.

Difference:
Basicallly the drop a bowling ball on an M helmet ONCE, and check for cracks.
SA they drop it TWICE, no cracks.

Also, ever see how a nylon interior helmet melts, sticks to you face, and then catches fire! DONT DO IT!!!

Last edited:

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
>...A Z1R helmet is just...

I disagree. Some events (mine included) I wont let you pass tech with and M-motorcycle or DOT helmet. You must have a SNELL SA-00 or SA-05 approved helmet to get on the track.

Difference:
Basicallly the drop a bowling ball on an M helmet ONCE, and check for cracks.
SA they drop it TWICE, no cracks.

Also, ever see how a nylon interior helmet melts, sticks to you face, and then catches fire! DONT DO IT!!!

Sorry, Snell is dogshit.

EXCEPT for their new 2010 standard, which basically mimics ECE.

Tracks ask for 'Snell' because that is what the insurance company tells them, which incidentally, were originally lobbied by Snell decades ago.

The reason why 'old' Snell is dangerous is because the helmets were made TOO hard. Meaning, all those transferred forces of impact, are sent into your head instead of the Snell helmet's assumed job of absorbing the impact. Wear an iron helmet, you will die. Wear one made of foam and absorbant plastics, you just might live and walk away.

Users who are viewing this thread