Whats a good 2v cam

BCM0018

Established Member
Depends on the use. What is it for you, daily driver or weekend warrior? Most cam setups require other mods too. What else do you have done? Manual/auto? Also are you doing it yourself?

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
if your engine is stock then dont go bigger than what most companies consider to be "stage 1" cams. Anything bigger will destroy the engine. Comp makes good N/A cams.

BCM0018

Established Member
I think you might be able to get away with a stage 2 without more mods. You have to do valve springs and they recommend having a higher rear but definitely stage 1 or 2.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i was told by VT (before they went out of business) that a stage 2 cam can easily be ran with a stock bottom end. Also was told that stage 3 blower cams will work on stock bottom ends also.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Comp Cams XE 262AH cams have a nice decent idle.... plenty of power from 1800-6200..

Don't get caught up in the whole "Stage 1, stage 2 BS"... you can have one cam company with a "stage 1 cam" be the exact spec of another companies stage 2.... just pay attention to to the specs of the cam, and figure out exactly what you want to do with it. (full out race, just around town fun...etc)

BCM0018

Established Member
I agree with Rich. Just a heads up, I had a comp cam with 550 lift 278 intake and 282 exhaust and the pistons hit the valves. It was the exhaust valve and it wasn't much but enough to shatter one and drop it in my engine.

Most have 550 lift so anything with that much duration will probably end badly.

MatthewP

Established Member
I use Comp XE262AH cams in my stock bottom end 02 GT with .020" shaved off the heads. I have 20K on that setup with no problems. With a P-51 intake it makes great power to 6800 RPM, and is much better than stock above 3500 RPM. With the addition of Bassani Mid-Length headers and high flow X-Pipe, plus underdrives, the P-51, and a 75mm Throttle Body, the car was better than stock EVERYWHERE in the curve and MUCH better above 3500 RPM. If you just do the cams, expect a minor power drop at the very low end of the spectrum.

I upgraded the springs in my heads too, but I don't think they are required for the 262AH. Anything bigger in the Comp lineup and you are running the risk of P/V contact.

-Matthew

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
I know of a guy that went with the biggest cams that Comp had to offer,and he had no issues with them (installed by SGS) but the carmade shitty power tho

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
I would look in HiTec cams. Their stage 2 doesnt require new valve springs if i recall. Also no the stage 2 wont wreck your motor but i would do other mods first before ou jump into cams.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I had the "stage 3" comps forgot the # but it was around .550 lift had to flycut the pistons,comps springs with an intake exhaust accufab tb/plenum and inj's it made close to 300rwhp. G/f's dad was daily driving it for a while didnt check the oil....spun bearings. Now its in pieces until i get me another shortblock. It sounded great though. ha

Last edited:

punisherstang

Established Member
http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u349/punisherstang/?action=view&current=MOV00125-1.flv
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ get these cams...i wouldnt trade them for the world....crower stg 2s.....but i also have a fully built motor, bolt ons, geared gt....if your stock i think i would agree with the other guys an go stg 1.....but imo dont even do cams if your gunna do stg1, if you plan on upgrading your engine down the road dont get stg1 cams bc your going to want to swap them out for something more agressive anyways.... but if you are just daily driving and want a lil more pep in your gt, then stg 1s ftw. hope that helps a lil

Users who are viewing this thread