Whatever happened to the gt500 Code Red?

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Its been a few years. But has anybody heard why the code red never made its way to the public? NRE had some serious time into it. Totally forgot about the car untill it popped back into my head today. Any ideas why shelby never marketed it other then being very pricey?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Code Red was a prototype in Shelby's quest for a 1000hp street car. In addition to the cost, the project was rather complex for a street car... boost controlled/limited by gear selected and separate pump gas and race gas tanks that mixed while in boost. In the end, the public got the Shelby 1000.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I talked to NRE at PRI and he said he has a ton of research on those turbos and what the engine combo wanted. I think they ended with 61mm twins?
-J

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
From what I have been able to find, they were gonna go with twin 61mm turbonetics turbochargers.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
From what I have been able to find, they were gonna go with twin 61mm turbonetics turbochargers.
Twin mirror image NRE Turbo's by turbonetics :)
Car was completed for Gary at SA, I assume he or the company still has it.
NRE said he can still reproduce the engine combo.
-J

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
I remember it made ridiculous power. Wasnt it around 1100rwhp and 950flbs on 91 octane?

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Somewhere around those numbers. INSANE for 91. “Supposedly” ended up being a prototype for the Shelby 1000... not sure how accurate that is though.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
77CF99BE-CC78-427C-A4FB-FD8FE5501C10.jpeg

klcmcse

Established Member
NRE, Nelson more specifically, is way overpriced just like Shelby America. There are a lot of really good engine builders if you want to go that route and shave a ton of cash off of a special build.
Besides, Nelson believes the Ls motors hung the moon, not saying the are not good power plants, they just do not have the efficiency of an overhead twin cam/32 valve engine..If that's not the case why has every other major manf gone the overhead cam route? Constant push for more stringent CAFE req's, I read someplace that GM was jumping on the EV Bandwagon to get more % points in the req to meet CAFE regulations. oB

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Twin mirror image NRE Turbo's by turbonetics :)
Car was completed for Gary at SA, I assume he or the company still has it.
NRE said he can still reproduce the engine combo.
-J

Wish i had a few hundred thousand laying around. Dream build

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Somewhere around those numbers. INSANE for 91. “Supposedly” ended up being a prototype for the Shelby 1000... not sure how accurate that is though.

I believe the Code Red was actually a prototype build for the Super Snake. Everyone was all abuzz over the Code Red. When the eventual Super Snake came out, there was some minor disappointment. And for the price, I'd still rather have a Code Red than a Shelby 1000. The Code Red seems more custom engineered versus off-the-shelf parts "thrown together" for the Shelby 1000 (and Super Snake).

NRE, Nelson more specifically, is way overpriced just like Shelby America. There are a lot of really good engine builders if you want to go that route and shave a ton of cash off of a special build.

You're paying for the customization and attention to detail. If I had the money, my GT500 would be getting the Code Red treatment!

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Totally agree with both statements. I would much rather have a Code Red than a Shelby 1000, definitely seems much for custom made and the research and development that went into it.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Funny to see this thread, was just watching the NRE video of code red. I sent them an email to see if they had any 61mm turbos left. He had them on sale for 2k a pair,

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I believe the Code Red was actually a prototype build for the Super Snake. Everyone was all abuzz over the Code Red. When the eventual Super Snake came out, there was some minor disappointment. And for the price, I'd still rather have a Code Red than a Shelby 1000. The Code Red seems more custom engineered versus off-the-shelf parts "thrown together" for the Shelby 1000 (and Super Snake).

You're paying for the customization and attention to detail. If I had the money, my GT500 would be getting the Code Red treatment!

Was the Code Red based on a Mustang GT500 or GT? I purchased my 2008 GT500 in mid-2008, two weeks after the 2008 GT500 production ended and Ford was getting ready to build the 2009's. <<By that time the Super Snake build wait time was 1 year out, and the original 2007 Super Snake prototype 725 that Gary Patterson campaigned had already been through many magazines and run a 10.87 @ 134mph for Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords with a simple rear tire change. Unless the Code Red was something pre-2007, the Super Snake wait list and cars being built was well along in production soon (within a few months) after the 2007 GT500's came out at Ford.

If the Code Red was based on the GT500, I could see where it's development could have realistically have become the S1000 that came along in 2011 or so.....and maybe even the Shelby Motorsports upgrades that were eventually available for the Super Snake to 900 and 1000hp packages beyond 50 state emissions legal build of the production Super Snake. Many people forget, the Super Snakes, first of all have to be 50 state emissions legal coming from an automobile builder like Shelby, so all cars only get a catback change, no long tubes or other exhaust changes ahead of the catback...........50 state emissions legal. <<After the car is built to those requirements, then an owner can choose to have his Super Snake upgraded further and pay the extra $$$$, but then the car may not be emissions legal in some states, I believe those after 50 state emissions changes are deemed "off-road".

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
A LOT of interesting information haha.

Actually, it is useless information, but when you lived through it and plunked down some big cash back then, and still own the car 10 years later, it sticks in your mind as to how the events unfolded.........

R

Users who are viewing this thread