What years did Ford use "Performance Red"?

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Hi guys, I am getting ready to upgrade from my 93 Cobra daily driver. I really love the bright red/orange color used on my 93. A similar color was used in 1999 on some anniversary edition GTs and on the 2000 Cobra R and on some 2001 Cobras. Was that color used in 1996, 1997 or 1998?

Thanks

Last edited:

72 fastback

Established Member
i think it was rio red in 97 and laser red in 96 and 98 for the cobra's.oh yeah post some pics of the 95r sometime.might want some more input from other members tho.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Well, I guessed wrong ... according to the ref I looked at, it's:

'96 - Laser Red; '97 - Rio Red; and '98 - Laser Red.

http://www.mustangspecs.com/cobra.shtml

EDIT: Something wrong with that ref ... on the '97 it shows Rio Red in one area of the data, and Laser Red in another area of the data .

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Red98CobraStang said:
laser red will fade much easier than rio red. If you do get laser red make sure the car is garaged and waxed regularly.

Why is that?
Is it the tinted clearcoat?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
badass98svt said:
Why is that?
Is it the tinted clearcoat?

Havent a clue to be honest. The rio red is a one stage paint and the laser red is a three stage I believe. I think it is the clear coat.

All I know is that all the rio red stangs I have ever seen look way better than all the laser red's...

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
They only made Performance Red in three years....the 93' Cobra, the 00' Cobra R and the 01' Cobra. All the rest were either Rio Red or Laser red. But Rio red would be the closest thing.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
They only made Performance Red in three years....the 93' Cobra, the 00' Cobra R and the 01' Cobra.

Not true, my friends 2000 GT is Performance Red.

eliz.gif

And here is his sig

2002931932779212045_fs.gif

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
They only made Performance Red in three years....the 93' Cobra, the 00' Cobra R and the 01' Cobra. All the rest were either Rio Red or Laser red. But Rio red would be the closest thing.

1993 Cobra is Vibrant Red, not Performance Red. If I remember correctly the Vibrant Red could have been ordered with clearcoat or without clearcoat.

There is quite a difference in Vibrant Red and Performance Red. The Vibrant Red has more blue in it, the Performance Red has more yellow.

R

Users who are viewing this thread