What year GT500 for open track events?

sl0214smith

Established Member
I want to buy a GT500 vert for weekend use and a few open track events a year (I am aware of the downsides of tracking any convertible). I don’t want to be the fastest car; I just want a car that is fun to drive fast. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different model years of GT500’s?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Any year will serve you fine. Main mods are cooling, brakes, suspension.

2011+ has the benefit of an aluminum block, which cuts about 100lbs off the front of the car. :beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I had a friend who had a 2012 and he had shifting issues at high speed. He did some research and discovered that some of the pre 2013 GT500s had this issue. The only way to fix it was to tear down the trans, rebuild or replace the trans. He decided to sell the 2012 and get a 2013. No issues since.

sl0214smith

Established Member
I had a friend who had a 2012 and he had shifting issues at high speed. He did some research and discovered that some of the pre 2013 GT500s had this issue. The only way to fix it was to tear down the trans, rebuild or replace the trans. He decided to sell the 2012 and get a 2013. No issues since.

Thanks; that is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Thanks also to all others who have posted so far. Please post if you have some information to add.

dmichaels

Established Member
The 2013's have the 6-piston brembos wih bigger rotors as well. I'm reaching the limit on my 4 piston brembos with my GT so I would suggest looking at the later cars for the more robust brakes. Downside is you can't run 18's with them but bigger more powerful brakes helps as these cars are big heavy and fast.

I know a couple guys who track 2012's though and have had good luck.

Look into pad and tire options for the 2013 - there are lots of pad choices for the 14" brembos but not sure about the 15" 6-piston setup

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
My.02, get a 13+, more track ready than the earlier years IMHO

bFoxGt500

Established Member
I drive my '08 GT500 on the track (6-7 HPDE events/yr) and I love it. It is not a daily driver but I drive it often on the street. If I was going to get a car for fun on the track and the street, I'd get the Boss 302 and add just a few mods. A supercharged car is not the best on the track since you really need to fight overheating and you don't need 600+ HP to go fast! IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread