what would you pay for this?

Fast Willy

Established Member
Hey guys,

A local dealer near me has a 2012 red boss 302 that they just got on the lot with 26k miles on it. The didnt appear to have ever been in an accident, the the front lower valence looks like it has hit a few curbs, the paint is actually in awful shape. The hood looks like a cat lived on top of it with small scratches every where and the back blackout panel between the lights actually has a small tear on it. The interior looks to be about 8 out of 10 but it does have the recaro seats.

2012 Ford Mustang for sale in Fort Myers - 1ZVBP8CU2C5266528 - Dixie Buick GMC

The car had what appeared to have x-pipe, cat-back and I saw lower control arms other then that I'm not positive but the engine compartment looked stock.

What would you guys pay for something like this? I'm thinking about trading my f150 in on it.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
Can the paint be corrected at the paint shop and little things fixed? I would have to see it after a full detail but to me the asking price is high based off your comments

Fast Willy

Established Member
32 is the range i was thinking as well. most of the paint can be corrected there are a few small scratches that I could make look a little better but not completely remove them, the worst part of the scratches are actually on the sticker on the hood.

Deranged2013

Established Member
With your description of the car, I would look somewhere else. Someone didn't give a damn about that car from what you described. There are a few very nice Bosses out there for sale, even a couple LS models.

Grant808

Established Member
With your description of the car, I would look somewhere else. Someone didn't give a damn about that car from what you described. There are a few very nice Bosses out there for sale, even a couple LS models.

No kidding. If they cared for the paint like that, do you think the oil was changed when it was supposed to be? I'd look elsewhere unless the price was close to a GT in the same condition.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Black Book Value for Florida
$38,175. Clean. Retail. Minus 600 for high mileage.

It is USED...

Offer 30 for it... If they wont go that low... tell them you want to see the maintenance logs and a compression check...
If that is good... paint can be fixed.
Throw a blower on it and for 40 you have a boss with a blower... Go Kenny Bell or Whipple.

Last edited:

12C/OBoss

Established Member
Black Book Value for Florida
$38,175. Clean. Retail. Minus 600 for high mileage.

It is USED...

Offer 30 for it... If they wont go that low... tell them you want to see the maintenance logs and a compression check...
If that is good... paint can be fixed.

Throw a blower on it and for 40 you have a boss with a blower... Go Kenny Bell or Whipple.

I could not agree more! The car sounds like it was run hard (these are Bosses after all!!) But the fact that minor maintenance and care sounds like it was possibly overlooked, well...walk away if you feel at all uncomfortable. Any Hi Po car needs meticulous care if it is to be used at 100% AND be reliable. All the items you mentioned appear to be the opposite of what the previous owner did. Compression/leakdown test, rear diff/trans fluid checks should be the minimum before considering the car. See if you can have the dealer print out the cars warranty/service history. And last but not least, along with running a Carfax, take the car to a trusted body shop for a once over for possible prior repairs. At the same time you can get an estimate to correct the paint to better negotiate the price:dancenana:

Anyway good luck! Pm me if you need any other advice-

Andy:beer:

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
The condition you described would be unacceptable to me for a car with only 2 years on the road. I would be looking at others.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
It needs to be broke in right and the oil and filters changed or monitored to be changed. what extra care you talking about... a engine rebuild after 500 track laps. what?
It is in the Boss owners manual supplement guide

It is a used car and it is sitting on a dealers lot of course it was dumped off. 26k miles. what all track miles?

What is the Boss number? Race red... well over a thousand of these made, second most popular color... Unless it has white stripes...

30k on the buy and you wont go wrong unless it needs a new motor, transmission or has other serious issues. paint is not a serious issue. a new engine is not a serious issue, expensive but not serious... A salvage title... that is a serious issue.

This is nothing more then a car and to some people there is no difference between a collectors car and school bus.

What if the paint scratches came from a child playing on the hood...
Just because you might be meticulous about the paint doesn't mean the previous owner was...

I was looking at that black shinny vinyl thing ford stuck on my hood and it has scratches on it... what I dont take of my car and it is a POS?

You know what... I decided I am going to drive my car... it is a car not a 401k...

Meacum Auto Auction Kissimmee Flordia January 2013 a 1969 Blue Boss 302 mint condition with 17000 miles one owner rolled across the block and was sold for 70K... What a waste of an automobile... I hope the new owner drives it like it was stolen...

Maybe the car for sale has some good stories... at least it has a history.

Being that 1969 Blue Boss 302 mint condition with 17000 miles one owner... it was nothing more then a garage queen POS. I bet the owner was scared to death to drive it, did nothing more then just look at it in the garage, take a drink of their favorite beverage and go yep its a boss. nice tales?

Like I said... for 40K you could have a Boss with a blower... buy that and get the Beefcake special... Hell for that price I bet Beefcake would even install it for you and still be under the 40k... and if the scratches are just in the clear coat... those can be fixed... easy without a respray.

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
^^IF I had the money, I'd have a climate controlled garage with a 1970 Boss 429 sitting it in. The car would be driven only on nice days and even then rarely and would still have the 2012 Boss 302 for my daily.

I understand cars like that being treated the way they are.

Specially since something like a deer can take a perfect car and make a mess of it within seconds.

Debating on parking my car(once the body shop gets done fixing her), since I do have a beater, until spring now because of the horrifying number of deer on the road.

Not counting all the teenage/adult/old people who shouldn't be allowed to operate cars. I hate taking a car, that can "somewhat" be replaced out on the road, muchless a super rare car that probably couldn't be replaced if I were to get hit and it got totaled.

1513317_194808194058164_112900141_n.jpg

Fast Willy

Established Member
Thanks for your opinions guys, I'm going to dig a little further into this. I believe the number of the car was 7401 but I could have that wrong.

On a side note, can a dealer sell a car that is advertised with a factory warranty still when the car doesn't have cats and this probably means it has some kind of programmer on it as well?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
If it doesn't have cats, they are not legally allowed to sell it.

If it doesn't throw PCM codes after a few mins of driving, then it is tuned more than likely. For me, driving a car once before without the tune for a very short period of 10-15 mins threw codes.

Users who are viewing this thread