What would you major in?

MarlboroMan

Established Member
—BS, Business Administration
—BS, Industrial Engineering

What do you think would be a wiser more lucrative career? Consider job growth, demand, and salary advancement.

slvr35th

Established Member
Industrial engineering!! getting your bs in business is useless now days, the time you spend getting your degree in business you can go get a job and be more ahead that way.

daredevil95

Established Member
—BS, Industrial Engineering: with this education you could do both jobs engineer/mgt. The engineering degree will give you a lot of flexibility in the work place which will give you the best of both worlds.

txyaloo

Established Member
Serious question?

Engineering hands down. Business is where 2nd year engineering students go...

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
I would say IE. Administration is too broad nowadays. Doing IE will show recruiters that you have some focus and know what direction you want your career to go in.

cobracide

Established Member
Get the BSIE, then you could always go back and get an MBA if you wanted.

THIS. Engineering can be branched to almost anything.. it shows you have brains. Business is well, just business although it is flexible as well. An MBA grooms you for management.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
if i was good at math i would soooo get into engineering, always a plethora of jobs...business is ok as well though.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
if i was good at math i would soooo get into engineering, always a plethora of jobs...business is ok as well though.

This. Math is what kept me from going into the ME field.

I probably couldnt do 1st week algebra now if I had to. **** math, thats what computers are for.

91GT

Established Member
Why industrial? I would consider one of the big three (Mech, Elec, Civil). They are more universal and will allow you to be qualified for a much greater range of positions.

One of the most profitable combinations of education is a professional engineer designation and a MBA.

91GT

Established Member
This. Math is what kept me from going into the ME field.

I probably couldnt do 1st week algebra now if I had to. **** math, thats what computers are for.

Most people have to work hard at "math" courses. If you want to become a engineer, math skills should not hold you back. You will be surprised how fast you will come around.

Engineering is about much more then math. The job is really all problem solving. The math is just part of it.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I agree with the above, screw industrial, but go with an engineering. The only 'industrial engineers' I know went to a 2 year school and are making $11 an hour.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Most people have to work hard at "math" courses. If you want to become a engineer, math skills should not hold you back. You will be surprised how fast you will come around.

Engineering is about much more then math. The job is really all problem solving. The math is just part of it.

Thats what I've been told, I suck at teh math. The thought of taking math classes makes me nervous.

Sent from my jebus phone

MarlboroMan

Established Member
Why industrial? I would consider one of the big three (Mech, Elec, Civil). They are more universal and will allow you to be qualified for a much greater range of positions.

One of the most profitable combinations of education is a professional engineer designation and a MBA.

Yeah. I would prefer to take another engineering course, but my university doesn't offer any others. I'm not gonna relocate. I'm not even in school right now for the science/education. I'm in it to make above min wage.

MarlboroMan

Established Member
I agree with the above, screw industrial, but go with an engineering. The only 'industrial engineers' I know went to a 2 year school and are making $11 an hour.

I don't know about that. Maybe it's because they went to a 2 year tech school, maybe it's because their GPA was low, maybe because they are a shitty engineer, or maybe they got on with a podunk company.

Edit- Sorry Mods, I haven't posted in awhile. I keep forgetting that's what that multiquote button is for lol

Last edited:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member

Thats what I've been told, I suck at teh math. The thought of taking math classes makes me nervous.

Sent from my jebus phone

This was my case...hell I rmemeber back in middle school when they wanted to hold me back and put me in remedial math because I failed the hell out of a few different placement tests. Mom did and override to put me in advanced placement and ended up graduating high school as a 1st semester sophmore in college level math. Just depends on how hard you are willing to work.

As for which to choose...ENGINEERING!!! I graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering. Did that for 7 years and now I am working as Project Engineer/Asst. Project Manager. If you want a buisness degree just go back and get you MBA, that is my plan. Pay will be a TON better with Engineering...this may help explain that better...

This is the U.S. Average starting salary with a bachelor degree and nothing more..
(Salary data provided by 2007 survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers)
English............................................$35,453
Psychology.......................................$34,095
Sociology.........................................$35,434
Accounting.......................................$48,020
Aerospace........................................$53,408
Agricultural.......................................$49,764
Bioengineering and biomedical...............$51,356
Chemical..........................................$59,361
Civil.................................................$48,509
Computer..........................................$56,201
Electrical..........................................$55,292
Environmental/environmental health.......$47,960
Industrial/manufacturing......................$55,067
Materials...........................................$56,233
Mechanical........................................$54,128
Mining & mineral..................................$54,381
Nuclear.............................................$56,587
Petroleum..........................................$60,718

I cant find the numbers for the 2010 but I do remember the engineering salaries roughly 20% higher than the numbers there.

Coiled03

Established Member
Engineering FTMFW!\

Seriously, it's a much more versatile degree.

oilwell1415

Established Member

Plethora of jobs my ass. That is entirely dependent on where you are at. There are a lot of engineering jobs here, but they are all for senior engineers and people with very specific areas of expertise. Not much market for an engineer with average experience.

Same here....math kills me!!:read:

I suck at math but was able to earn a BSME. I started college in 1994 having never used a real computer and not having any idea that calculus even existed. If I can get an engineering degree anyone can. It's just a matter of how bad you want it.

Getting a PE license isn't any assurance of profitability. I'm not even sure you can get a PE as an IE in all states. Even if you can, finding one to work under for 5 years will be difficult. Where the PE license really matters is in CE because it means you can approve, sign and seal blueprints for construction. Beyond that the usefulness is hit or miss.

+1. IEs don't do as well as the others in most cases. However, once an IE has proven that he can make a company more profitable and gets certified in things like Six Sigma there's money out there.

Yeah. I would prefer to take another engineering course, but my university doesn't offer any others. I'm not gonna relocate. I'm not even in school right now for the science/education. I'm in it to make above min wage.

I would be very skeptical of the education you are going to receive if they only offer one discipline of engineering. Part of the reason schools offer all the major disciplines is because it gives them experts on staff to teach all of the pre-engineering courses. By only offereing IE I would be pretty surprised if they have the people teaching dynamics, electrical science, fluid mechanics, thermo, etc that should be teaching them.

Another thing to consider is that when times get tough you will be the first one out the door. As an IE you will likely be working in a manufacturing environment. Particularly if it's a union shop, the first place they will cut is engineering. Most companies view the engineering dept as a cost center, not a profit center. When the time comes to trim the fat they will look at what they think is costing them more money than it's making them and go there first for cuts. In a union shop you won't have the union "protecting" your job, so you'll be an easy target.

Users who are viewing this thread