What would you estimate the TOTAL cost of going to a single turbo?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I was wondering what some of you guys spent from start to finish on a single 76mm turbo kit. My car has a 2.76" and a tune....other then that, its pretty stock.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
It depends on if you do the labor or the shop does and what kind of fuel system you want to put in the car etc. Outside of the kit itself, your going to need an 01 Alternator, Oil Cooler and Assembly, a new clutch to hold the power..and might as well upgrade to 26spline shafts while your there in addition to the head cooling mod since it's much easier to work when you change out the clutch. I think the standard price out there for most single kits is around $6400 and then it goes up from there based on your preferences. Lastly, your also gonna need to get a dyno tune...and in my opinion, your gonna want to atleast have a wideband plus a boost gauge. IMO, if your gonna go turbo, you might as well do it right so you don't blow anything up :)

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I can go KB or Whipple for a lot cheaper!
...I guess its a little out of my price range :(

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
That's why I never looked into it Nicky Pass! I just bought a Whipple off e-bay for a good price.

Blown02

Established Member
wait, nevermind, it was 12k for my setup.. i got a good bit of other things like I mentioned above.. plus I got a catback,etc.etc.

DUMBASS

Banned
mine is costing me over 20k but baout 4k or so is for machining and new pistons and rings. i am also doing a return fuel system and a 9" rear end, thats with the hellion 76 pte turbo kit wih all the upgrades. new head studs basically everything you could ever do the darn car.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I can't see spending $12K on this car....you guys must have very high paying jobs!

Will cost you more then that!

If you want to just slap a turbo on with the supporting mods figure roughly 10-12k w fuel system and intake. Now start adding in rear end work, suspension, tires, clutch, possibly a motor it adds up quick.

Im up near 40k and im not even close to done!

Blown02

Established Member
my car has been through 4 motors, over 10 exhausts, 4 transmissions, 3 power adders, etc.etc. i dont even want to think about how much money I have sunk into this car..

get the kb or whipple u will be plenty happy.

Last edited:

VoodooSNK

Established Member

If you want to just slap a turbo on with the supporting mods figure roughly 10-12k w fuel system and intake. Now start adding in rear end work, suspension, tires, clutch, possibly a motor it adds up quick.

But if you want to do a KB or Whipple you'll eventually need all that stuff anyways.

s_x_i

Established Member
I did a built stroker motor and full supporting drivetrain mods... threw a 2.6 kenne Bell on there until I saved up for turbos.

I have over $20,000 in mods easy... next up is the fuel system. Turbo's will be the last piece of the puzzle. so I'll probably be looking at $30,000 all told

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member

+1 I have about 30K in my build up right now and I have yet to touch a valve cover. The supporting mods will eat you alive if you do it right though it should last.

carolinacat

...LOST
Established Member
Just put a KB/whipple on the car and have fun with it. I know I would love to go back to one If i didnt have all the supporting stuff.

turbo'd 03

Established Member
Bought the car for 21k...3 motors later,stegie,nos,intakes,fuel management,fuel system,suspension,tranny upgrades,clutches,rearend upgrades,gauages,Hellion 76 GTS kit...over 30k in mods...over 50k in the car....Priceless:burn:
If i was starting over I would have went with the Hellion kit from the start,instead of going thru blowers and NOS. Maybe would'nt have went through 2 motors. But who is counting the $$$$ not me. Hell I'm not even done,thinking about putting on an 88mm and GT supercar cams or hell maybe a 5.4 swap.:D I love these cars:pepper:

YBS_Mike

Established Member
Well, like anything, this is debatable.

When I went to my Whipple 2.3 I chose to do all the mods I felt were necessary to accomodate the extra power. This included 60lb injectors, a fluidyne heat exchanger, a KB boost-a-pump, MM full length weld-in subframe connectors, a spec stage 3+ clutch, a spec steel flywheel, a 26 spline input shaft, a MaFia, an SCT X-cal2, and a BF IRS brace.

These mods including the blower cost me around $8500.00. Now if I do go with a Turbo, I have most of the necessary mods so it won't be as expensive from this point. It's definately cheaper to start with a blower and eventually end up with a turbo.

turbo'd 03

Established Member
Well, like anything, this is debatable.

When I went to my Whipple 2.3 I chose to do all the mods I felt were necessary to accomodate the extra power. This included 60lb injectors, a fluidyne heat exchanger, a KB boost-a-pump, MM full length weld-in subframe connectors, a spec stage 3+ clutch, a spec steel flywheel, a 26 spline input shaft, a MaFia, an SCT X-cal2, and a BF IRS brace.

These mods including the blower cost me around $8500.00. Now if I do go with a Turbo, I have most of the necessary mods so it won't be as expensive from this point. It's definately cheaper to start with a blower and eventually end up with a turbo.

Well you will need 75#injectors or better and you will be maxing out that BAP..so you will need a return style fuel system,fuel rails, not to mention intakes. And one more thing you will want a twin disc clutch. That Spec won't hold brake boosting for very long....You will spend some $$$$$ but it is well worth in IMO...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread