What would you do?

Blackness03

Established Member
If you were doing all the work youself other then building the motor, and you needed to put another motor in your Foxbody, and you already had heads, cam, intake, etc etc, would you built another stock block 302 or go another route? as in 302, 351, OR the LS route many people are taking

What would you do and why? How would you build it? high compression, low compression, or stock?

Your goals would be 350+rwhp, and running/driving asap. Not a never ending project

:pop:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
351/ if you want to stay ford, ls motor if you want reliability and you have choo choo money.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
How much is the +? You can make 350rwhp on a stock 302 block without worry. If you want to have room to expand to big power later, well, then it's either DART block, or 351 block time.

I personally, had a goal of 350-400rwhp and that's it. So I built a 331. Personal choice man, but if your budget conscious then I'd stick with a 302 based stroker motor or a 351 based setup.

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Last engine I built was a BOSS 302 4 bolt main block, stroked to a 347, 8.7:1 Compression with a Vortech blower, 10psi. If I had to build another it would be very similar to that one.

DRCjasper

Established Member
If 350+ is the ultimate goal and budget is a factor... stock block 306. Cheaper than a stroker but capable of meeting your goal N/A.

On the flip side, if you have the budget and intend to push well past 350 in the future, I would be looking at a 408 stroker, Windsor based dart block. If you want to stay N/A, build it high compression or go low compression with a blower/turbo setup.

Either way you go, no sense in building it and rebuilding it. Decide the ultimate goals of the car and plan accordingly.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
351 bored out to 357, 10:1 compression, and if you didnt have a good set of heads at the time you could still use what you had and add a good set down the road. If you do have a decent set of heads then great, slap them on and you will have a motor that(depending on the heads, cam and intake) will make 350-425whp on 91 pump gas and will last FOREVER. Also be low enough comp for low boost or nitrous down the road.

Slo_GTS

Established Member
I would do rering and bearing a 97-92 Mustang 5.0 engine upgrade the to ARP main studs and Head studs, do MLS head gaskets,GT40 or a decent price heads(depends on how much you wanna spend of if you have something left over) and GT40 Intake, F Cam. 70 MM turbo kit. there easly over 400hp there.
or
Do a HCI 351W
or if I had the money
LS 6.0 engine and turbo it later

Last edited:

Blackness03

Established Member
How much is the +?

I personally, had a goal of 350-400rwhp and that's it. So I built a 331. Personal choice man, but if your budget conscious then I'd stick with a 302 based stroker motor or a 351 based setup.

How do you like your 331? i'm assuming you met that goal?

Last engine I built was a BOSS 302 4 bolt main block, stroked to a 347, 8.7:1 Compression with a Vortech blower, 10psi. If I had to build another it would be very similar to that one.

How many miles did you put on it? The more i read, the more i hear how i shouldnt go above a 331 on a 302 block. I keep reading to just go 351, BUT that requires buying more parts

If 350+ is the ultimate goal and budget is a factor... stock block 306. Cheaper than a stroker but capable of meeting your goal N/A.

On the flip side, if you have the budget and intend to push well past 350 in the future, I would be looking at a 408 stroker, Windsor based dart block. If you want to stay N/A, build it high compression or go low compression with a blower/turbo setup.

Either way you go, no sense in building it and rebuilding it. Decide the ultimate goals of the car and plan accordingly.

Well as of right now it only has a 302 in it and it put down 320 to the wheels. Thats just H/C/I, 10.1 compression. moving to a 306 would put it 350+? Ultimate goal is 450-500hp but trying to get it back together as cheap as i can. About to buy a house and can't be dumping 5 grand into it.

351 bored out to 357, 10:1 compression, and if you didnt have a good set of heads at the time you could still use what you had and add a good set down the road. If you do have a decent set of heads then great, slap them on and you will have a motor that(depending on the heads, cam and intake) will make 350-425whp on 91 pump gas and will last FOREVER. Also be low enough comp for low boost or nitrous down the road.

I would like to put a 351 in it, but the parts needed to make it work just keep adding up the more i look into it. I have Patriot heads on the 302. I read that i would need 205s or 220s on a 351 to benefit from the extra cubes.

so i guess now i'm just trying to decide if i can get 350+ at the wheels from a 331

Last edited:

Blackness03

Established Member
I would do a 331 with h/c/i. Use 185cc heads and a custom cam and it should make 350 easily. Then later down the road boost it when you get bored :)

If i built it low compression would it still be around 350? I guess i could put s trim on it and hope for 400-450. but at 450 to the wheel, i may be scared of the block cracking

red03terminator

Established Member
I made 325 rwhp with a stock block 302. With holley systemax intake,steeda 18 cam, and afr165 heads. And full boltons. So I think u should make 350 with a 331 and low compression. If u want to add boost I would just get a boss or dart block pricey but will be bullet proof.

Users who are viewing this thread